Funniest moment I've had with my chickens

One of our roosters caught a garter snake and was running around making the treat noise and the girls came running, but he wouldn't put it down or share it with them. A few minutes later, he swallowed the whole snake!

I have a little buff silkie roo named Rusty. My chickens free range in a fenced-in 3/4 acre area. Well Rusty can pretty much squeeze through the fence so he is the only one that can get out. Every morning he greets me at the garage door and eats all the bugs that were under the guard light. He always pecks at the bugs and calls the cats over to eat the bugs. He just can't figure out why the cats won't come running to eat the bugs...
idunno.gif
Poor Rusty, he works so hard at it.

Today was a feast! We are not exactly being overrun by mice, but there was a mouse in the house and apparently it was hoteling at the Bathtub Inn. It got wet and eventually ran back down into the drain as I turned on the shower (and I gave my 'eek' when I found it in the tub) so I don't know where it is now. Somewhere in the plumbing
barnie.gif

Anyway, outdoors, the chickens were having another lazy hot day. I found a new mouse hole so I poured off the excess water that I had in my bucket (that I use to fill up the chickens' waterers). A couple of mice ran out, and Scratch, the mouser that she is, caught one immediately. They fought over it again (especially Blue, my Marans; she's a fruit- and quiche-eating gal, most days, but she won't deny that she loves raw mouse either). Scratch probably swallowed three mice in a little over 10 minutes, a couple of them were smaller. Maybe they were baby mice. Blue also got a hold of one and swallowed it whole too.
The baby (i.e. 7 week old) Ameraucanas wanted in on the action, but they're separated from the rest of the gang. They probably wouldn't know what to do with the mouse either. Actually, they jump up on ledges when they see mice, just like I do.
roll.png

A couple of mice got away, but they'll be back. And when they are, they'll meet their demise.

Another funny moment that I discovered lately: I gave the girls some immature grapes. I couldn't wait to see their reaction so I didn't even wait for ripe ones. They gobbled them up and swallowed them whole too. It's going to be a fun summer as the peaches, nectarines, and grapes mature and the girls are looking for treats!

This is Scratch, now known in their little world as The Queen Mouser:
80295_dsc01823.jpg

Last edited:
Our chickens caught a number of mice, but the best (and scariest!) was the day one of my hens killed a small snake. The thing was over a foot long, not sure how she did it, but she did. Then spent awhile running around with her prize while I'm running after her with the camera to get a photo (no joy). I think she ended up eating it too.

Back
Top Bottom