Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

it wasn't said to me but on a greyhound bus i overheard a young boy say to his mom while pointing at some cows " wow mom look those would make a lot of pork chops" .... my jaw dropped

it wasn't said to me but on a greyhound bus i overheard a young boy say to his mom while pointing at some cows " wow mom look those would make a lot of pork chops" .... my jaw dropped

gig.gif
At least he is aware that they were food and just had the wrong kind of beef/pork knowledge.

Maybe he knew what he meant but it came out wrong. I've been guilty of that, with chickens as well as other stuff. My mind hears what I wanted to say but my mouth said something different and I won't realize it until later what I actually said. Sometimes I can correct it, but other times it's too late (don't you just love mulling over the day when you are trying to go to sleep?)

CG

Most of what I've heard deal with the origins of various produce and meats... Its amazing how detached many people are today from the realities and origins of the foods they eat.

There are people that think potatoes grow on trees... There are people that don't realize cotton comes from plants. There are people I've spoken that condemn hunting for meat as cruel, but don't think twice about the farming practices and slaughter processes that occur before they buy their neatly packaged meat at the chain grocery they shop at. And there are people that are absolutely terrified of eating home grown products or unprocessed foods like raw milk. There are even people afraid of eating fresh laid eggs. :/

Then of course, there are the silly notions people have about animal behavior and care in general. But thats not just from the urban/suburban side of things. The rural side of things share a good many of them.

Last edited:
My step-dad makes the same comment at least twice a week. We have rats in our yard, as do our neighbors and they have been here way before we had chickens. They actually came from a nest in our neighbors yard. Anyway, he insists we have them because my birds are such filthy animals. He says that maybe if I cleaned their coops more we wouldn't have them. 1. Rats don't come for their poo and 2. I kelp my birds way cleaner than he keeps his dogs. There is barely ever poo in their coop. He also will not eat their eggs because they are brown and " unnaturally colored ". He also says that my chickens should not be allowed to roam the yard because "they contaminate the ground and it's unsafe for the dogs". I have no idea where the last one even came from. :rolleyes:

My step-dad makes the same comment at least twice a week. We have rats in our yard, as do our neighbors and they have been here way before we had chickens. They actually came from a nest in our neighbors yard. Anyway, he insists we have them because my birds are such filthy animals. He says that maybe if I cleaned their coops more we wouldn't have them. 1. Rats don't come for their poo and 2. I kelp my birds way cleaner than he keeps his dogs. There is barely ever poo in their coop. He also will not eat their eggs because they are brown and " unnaturally colored ". He also says that my chickens should not be allowed to roam the yard because "they contaminate the ground and it's unsafe for the dogs". I have no idea where the last one even came from.
roll.png
Where did the last one come from?

I have no idea where he got that idea. Our dogs dig, maybe he thinks the soil is contaminated and they will eat it? I will ask him about that one. You can't change his mind on anything, so I never try to inform him or change his opinion on these things.

I've got two for you. One, there was, and maybe still is, a plant in Ripon, CA that made instant coffee. One city official became upset when he found out the local farmers were spreading the used coffee grounds on their fields as a soil amendment. He was sure the grounds would seep into the water supply and one day soon when the citizens of Ripon would turn on the tap they would get coffee instead of water out of the faucet. He had the bad judgement to relate his concerns to a newspaper reporter. Apparently he was unaware that bacteria break down the coffee grounds. The second occurred several years ago. There was a TV movie titled The Morning After or something similar. It was about the aftermath of a nuclear explosion on the US. This idiot proclaimed to the media that the good citizens of Turlock did not have to worry because we were not downwind of any military targets. How he came to that conclusion no one could figure out. At that time there were active military installations to be found to the north, south, east, and west of us, and some of them were within a very few miles.

I got a good one:
My family is from Minnesota. My sister was visiting our uncle who lives in the Chicago area. While there she met a guy (lets call him Dave) who was visiting some relatives also. He was from Florida. They were getting along quite well so my sister decided to go down to Florida to see what it was like. She figured on driving down and was pondering what it would cost in gas to drive there and back. "Dave" told her she couldn't figure it would cost the same for both ways because it would take more gas to come back to Minnesota because it would be uphill all the way.

OOOO! I finally get to add a funny!

We have some sort of illness running around at work. I managed to catch it myself last week. I was just as miserable as I could be and talking to my mother (city girl through and through) on the phone. She was/is convinced that I had swine flu because I have a pet pig. I told her no way, so then she decided it was bird flu because I have chickens.

I wonder how the people at the office caught swine and bird flu since none of them have livestock - and then, managed to give it to my pig to give to me? Hmmmm

Back
Top Bottom