Funny acting

ryandd59

Hatching
Sep 6, 2019
Eastern Virginia
hi! I heard a chicken cough this morning and a couple hours later heard it again. I noticed a few different things at that point. Very strange poop under the roost inside the coop, and the chickens acting unusual. Not completely but still abnormal from what I’m used to seeing. Not foraging first thing like usual, more or less just sitting around. I watch two different Chickens drop very unusual poop. One very mustardy (and multiple times back to back) and then another chicken with a very watery liquid clearish poop. Even their clicking sounds different, almost raspy. I was able to grab a photo of the mustardy poo. The clear, I realy couldn’t get my camera to focus on it. I’m incredibly worried. The hen with the clearish poo sat on the nest for about 30 minutes with no egg. They’re all moving around and foraging now but just don’t seem like themselves. These chickens are 6 or 7 months old and have been laying every other day or so.

Attachments

• F2C056BA-A33C-4D6E-9A37-804F27797E21.jpeg
    F2C056BA-A33C-4D6E-9A37-804F27797E21.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 5
I’ve sat out watching for a bit now and the one with the clear droppings has gone in the run and is now trying to almost take a nap, which is something I’ve never seen her so. This is the same chicken who laid in the nest for awhile. I’m incredibly concerned.

Attachments

• 7F8E432E-DB83-4B5B-A894-FF3DFA733610.jpeg
    7F8E432E-DB83-4B5B-A894-FF3DFA733610.jpeg
    836.9 KB · Views: 1
It sounds like some may be having symptoms of a respiratory infection. Infectious bronchitis, MG, and others can cause sneeze, congestion, and crackles. Look for any nasal drainage and bubbles in eyes.

I would try to get some droppings checked for worms and coccidiosis by a vet. I have seen cecal poops that color before, but yellow runny poop can sometimes be caused by coccidiosis, internal laying, or E.coli infection. Foamy pooops can be a sign of worms, but getting a fecal test would cut out some guesswork.

If the hen who did this is lethargic, I would check her out well. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy/boggy. Offer some scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, and try to entice her with canned cat food, tuna, or ground meat. A sick bird usually will not drink or eat enough, and may have green poops. Insert a finger inside her vent 1-2 inches to check for a stuck egg.

Back
Top Bottom