Funny Girl

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
So, out of my 5 chickens, I now have 3 girls, laying. #3 is a mystery, but I have an idea who she is. Her first eggs was laid in the little loft area. Her second egg was laid on a hard area of the floor, and as a result, cracked. So, yesterday, I tied back the curtains on one end of the coop, so she could see a couple of the nesting boxes, complete with ceramic eggs (1 in each nesting box) - figuring that would help her understand that she should lay her eggs, there.

This morning, I went out to gather eggs. I found my usual 2 eggs. The other boxes only had the faux eggs. I decided to look into the coop to see if an egg was out of place, again. Sure enough, there was an egg on the floor. I was happy to see that it wasn't cracked. I turned it over to clean it off and saw the "X" that I have marked each ceramic egg with - because they look so much like my girls' eggs, that it can be hard to tell whether I'm collecting real eggs or ceramic eggs. Then I returned to the nesting boxes and found a third, "real" egg!

Little Miss MOVED the fake egg out of the nesting box, to lay her egg! Perhaps this is why she was laying outside the nesting boxes. She didn't want to share! And she moved the fake egg as far away from her real egg as she possibly could! HA!!

So, out of my 5 chickens, I now have 3 girls, laying. #3 is a mystery, but I have an idea who she is. Her first eggs was laid in the little loft area. Her second egg was laid on a hard area of the floor, and as a result, cracked. So, yesterday, I tied back the curtains on one end of the coop, so she could see a couple of the nesting boxes, complete with ceramic eggs (1 in each nesting box) - figuring that would help her understand that she should lay her eggs, there.

This morning, I went out to gather eggs. I found my usual 2 eggs. The other boxes only had the faux eggs. I decided to look into the coop to see if an egg was out of place, again. Sure enough, there was an egg on the floor. I was happy to see that it wasn't cracked. I turned it over to clean it off and saw the "X" that I have marked each ceramic egg with - because they look so much like my girls' eggs, that it can be hard to tell whether I'm collecting real eggs or ceramic eggs. Then I returned to the nesting boxes and found a third, "real" egg!

Little Miss MOVED the fake egg out of the nesting box, to lay her egg! Perhaps this is why she was laying outside the nesting boxes. She didn't want to share! And she moved the fake egg as far away from her real egg as she possibly could! HA!!
🤣

Back
Top Bottom