Funny pics, but it makes my duckling happy!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Aug 28, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    My lone duckling that I got on Monday has imprinted on me and will not let me out of it's sight. If I try to walk away for more than 2 minutes and she can't come with me, she pips so loudly that I can hear here 4 houses down while in my car. Some people have told me to just let her cry herself out, but this is such an annoying sound and I don't want the neighbors complaining. So now to get things done I have a set schedule: I get up super early and take her outside to roam and be free, then around noon I bring her indoors with me inside of a ... hamster cage. I know, this is a ridiculous solution, but a solid box doesn't work because she can't see me. I just put dried grass clippings in the bottom and put paper towels over them and I put plastic wrap on the side on the cage where I have her food and water so that it doesn't make a mess when she splashes. She is happy, calm, and can go with me now into any room! Won't last long though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and yes she can stand/stretch/run in circles/etc. but in these two she was just settling down for a nap.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww!!..what kind is she?..Wendy

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Funny story. Made me laugh right out loud! Good luck to you. I think you need more ducks. [​IMG]

4. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:I was told on the breeds/gender board that this is a Khaki Campbell duckling, and that I won't know for sure if it is a he or a she until it get adult feathers at around 5 months.

5. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:I keep laughing myself that I even have her, I only got chicks for the first time ever last week. When I asked my DB to go to the feed store for me he came back with chick feed and her! She was a lone rescue that someone had found in a post office! I wish I could have more ducks but my house is very close to our neighbors on both sides and I already have more chickens than the zoning laws allow; I don't want any complainers because if I get caught I'll have to ship them off to my mom.

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Yeah is is a little Khaki and she is so cute. lol

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH I feel bad for her...i hope you get her a buddy [​IMG] And looks like she will soon need a bigger cage [​IMG]

8. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Go get a tall sided clear plastic rubbermaid container and just toss shavings or hay in one side and leave a waterbowl on papertowels on the other side. That's how I raise mine and they too have to see me or they peep their heads off.

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I had a gosling the same way with me. I made diapers out of an old sheet and he followed me around the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by