Funny pics, but it makes my duckling happy!

RavenStorm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Southern CA
My lone duckling that I got on Monday has imprinted on me and will not let me out of it's sight. If I try to walk away for more than 2 minutes and she can't come with me, she pips so loudly that I can hear here 4 houses down while in my car. Some people have told me to just let her cry herself out, but this is such an annoying sound and I don't want the neighbors complaining. So now to get things done I have a set schedule: I get up super early and take her outside to roam and be free, then around noon I bring her indoors with me inside of a ... hamster cage. I know, this is a ridiculous solution, but a solid box doesn't work because she can't see me. I just put dried grass clippings in the bottom and put paper towels over them and I put plastic wrap on the side on the cage where I have her food and water so that it doesn't make a mess when she splashes. She is happy, calm, and can go with me now into any room! Won't last long though
sad.png

11295_pict1600.jpg

11295_pict1603.jpg

Oh and yes she can stand/stretch/run in circles/etc. but in these two she was just settling down for a nap.

Quote:
I was told on the breeds/gender board that this is a Khaki Campbell duckling, and that I won't know for sure if it is a he or a she until it get adult feathers at around 5 months.

Quote:
I keep laughing myself that I even have her, I only got chicks for the first time ever last week. When I asked my DB to go to the feed store for me he came back with chick feed and her! She was a lone rescue that someone had found in a post office! I wish I could have more ducks but my house is very close to our neighbors on both sides and I already have more chickens than the zoning laws allow; I don't want any complainers because if I get caught I'll have to ship them off to my mom.

Go get a tall sided clear plastic rubbermaid container and just toss shavings or hay in one side and leave a waterbowl on papertowels on the other side. That's how I raise mine and they too have to see me or they peep their heads off.

Back
Top Bottom