Funny rooster Story

gracierooster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Central New York
I went to an auction ( I know, bad move) and bought this little black "hen", a bunch of RIR and Buff Orphingtons and also couldn't resist these three little chicks for 50 cents each. When I got home (upstate NY in October) I realised it was too chilly out to keep the chicks outside unless they had heat. So, that night I put them under the little black "hen" who was absolutely wonderful with them. "She" kept them with her all day and sat down frequently so they could snuggle under her. She also kept them under her at night. Well, a few months later when the chicks were fully feathered, Gracie (my saving Grace) started to crow! Ok, well enough, but I still can't get over this rooster raised these chicks. It's 6 months later and now one of the chicks turned into another rooster. Norman and Gracie went at it so horribly that both their heads were bloody and swollen and neither could see. I cleaned them up, they went at it again the next day and Gracie apparently lost the battle and went off on his own away from the clock. That night, apparently he didn't know where to go being he was ostracized from the flock, so he walked up my back stairs, into my house, went through the kitchen and into my husband's office where he preceeded to fly up on his printer and roost for the night!!! I died laughing watching this whole thing. I picked him up, put a towel under him and he slept there all night. He didn't come back last night or tonight, he is sleeping in a nest box inside the coop. Isn't that the funniest thing??? I feel pretty bad for him, he lost his harem but with a little luck when the13 pullet chicks I just got grow up he will have some female company again. :)

Cute story! I couldn't imagine what my husband would do if on of ours did something like that. He thinks it's funny when they come pecking at the back door for treats.

Really, really cute story! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom