Funny- setting ducks

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey guys.
I have a female snowy call and a female east indie. They are both setting on nests. I know the eggs arent fertile, but they are trying SO hard to hatch them. I even noticed that (since they are in with the pheasants) the female pheasant has been laying one egg everyday, and I look for the egg so I can put it in the bator... well lately I havent found the eggs, but yesterday I took 2 of my big ducks fertile eggs and took them in the pen and set them in the nest, but when the female east indie got off her nest, I saw where the pheasant eggs have been going! She is desperate for babies!

So now she has 2 fertile eggs... so she should be happy when they hatch!
tongue.png

Last edited:
ahh how sweet - I had a hen go broody for the first time - and she tried so hard to hatch eggs that were not fertile - I had no eggs to give her - so I let her keep a few until she finally gave up - poor girl LOL

good luck with your eggs hopefully all her hard work gives her two little babies to take care of.

Julie

Just be careful if they hatch that she doesn't try to take them swimming... they can drown trying to follow her into the water.

I gave her 4 more eggs tonight.
So hopefully she'll have some ducklings.

Thanks Julie! How sweet your poor hen was trying to hatch some eggs... maybe she'll try again?

Don't worry Frosty, if they hatch I plan on taking them out. I'll give her some time to get to know them.

Yea I was so sorry for her poor girl - but I only have a banty roo right now - I did slip a few banty eggs under her to test fertility for me but my little roo perfers to mate the bigger hens - so the bantys eggs were clear

But Lacey Bear is a young girl just about 1 yr now so hopefully she will try again - and hopefully I will have some eggs for her - even if I have to slip a few duck eggs under there LOL

Julie

Ah, I hope she enjoys "her" babies! That will be an interesting-looking family. I hope you get some pictures!

My ducks went crazy laying, but no interest in setting (which is for the best ... I'd have to rehome a lot of ducklings!). I can't figure out how they have been laying in a small brush pile I have (they are locked in a coop each night) but they are definitely duck eggs ... I found them today.

Now, my banties ... I have 3 banty hens, and they have ALL gone broody at least once. (And technically still pullets I guess.) One of them is broody right now. She's guarding a pile of golf balls, growling at everyone who comes close, and daring the standards to try to lay in "her" nestbox!

Sigh ... poor thing, she's getting her head pecked too, because she HAD to choose everyone's favorite box to set in ...

I guess that's better than the last one. She went broody in some bushes, and I had to fight my way in through briers with a flashlight every night to pick her up and put her in the coop. In the morning, she returned to her "nest" (which had no eggs!) and kept it up for weeks. That was a silver penciled rock bantam pullet.

trish

Wow Trish.
Sounds like your bantie wants some babies
tongue.png
Too bad those golf balls wont hatch
wink.png

I have a sebastopol goose sitting on 2 goose eggs and 8 duck eggs... and its funny because I have a muscovy hen that likes to walk in the pen and snuggle and set right on the nest with her. The goose doesnt quite enjoy it, she grabs the hen on the neck and tries to pull her out... but the hen wont budge, so they both just sit there.

Back
Top Bottom