Funny thing....

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
I have 3 mallards and a number of other birds. They all free range. I was away at my son's birthday party today, when I got home I went out to herd the ducks in for the night. Now I have 4 mallards. I had to check and recheck, yup there is an extra.

I am somewhat worried about disease but the new one is the same size and assumable age as my other 3 and I can't tell them a part so now I have a wild duck in the coop.

I assume he/she is attempting to talk mine into leaving home
sad.png

Anyways I thought it was strange and that I would share the story!

The Canadian Geese around here will get in with white geese, and I even saw babies from a white goose and the C. Sweetest little things, and I guess the wild called him back, because he isn't there anymore.

I had a wild mallard drake that would appear off and on for years. He never went in the coop, but would hang out in the pen and usually "met up" with my guys down at the stock pond. He started hanging out with them after his mate left. One day he didn't return. Don't know if he found another flock or simply died.

That's hilarious.

But I wouldn't worry about the mallard trying to talk your guys into going wild. More likely, he sees what a good thing they've got going and is trying to figure out what he has to do to get to stay.
big_smile.png

Ha, that's really cute. One morning I woke up to my ducks being very loud, and it turned out to be because a pair of wild mallards went up to their pen and were talking with them. The mallards hesitantly left after awhile (every time the female would try to leave, one of mine would quack her head off as if to say come back! Poor campbells wouldn't last two days in the wild xD).

I hope that if the one that showed up decides to stay that its a duck. I have more drakes than I hoped for this year.

Out of my 3 rouens two appear to be drakes although they confuse me. Two have really loud voices(much louder than the one I know to be a drake) so I assumed I had to ducks. But one of the loud ones and the quiet one has a green shimmer to its head, so now I think I have a really loud drake and a normal quiet drake and a hen.

Out of the three muscovies I wanted to keep from this years hatch I think I have one drake and two ducks. So that would be a total of 2 drakes and four ducks.

I suppose the only option is to keep a couple extra ducks. Because I love all my drakes too much.

Duck math is funny!

Sounds like every morning around here. We have a pond that's about 200 ft from the coop. There is a wild Mallard pair that lays near it every year and then they take the young across the road and raise them in the beaver pond.

Once they are a couple of months they spend nights in our pond, and days in the beaver pond (I assume it's safer since the beavers are nocturnal). On the way down each morning one or two always end up outside our run squawking back and forth with my Mallards.

My best guess is that they think mine are part of the flock and they don't understand why they aren't coming along.

It's a great show. I'm sure my ducks would join them if they had the chance.

We had a wild mallard drake take up residence in one of our ponds. He got in with one of our Blue Ancona ducks, and now we have the most beautiful Blue mallards, with blue iredesent heads and a neck ring and eveything.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom