Funny turkey going-ons.

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Funny funny funny! I went out to collect the last turkey egg before I set them tonight, and I was alarmed to see that my turkeys were not on their "perch" like they usually are when I go out there. (I am paranoid that something is going to get them since the coop is out on the edge of the property.) Then I saw this big brown thing on the other side of the pen. I look, and two big wild toms are strutting their stuff on the outside of the turkey pen while my big Royal Palm tom is strutting back inside the pen. Of course the second they saw me they took off running for their lives. I was surprised to see how thin and hen-like they were when they weren't strutting. More so than my RP tom. Could they have been hens displaying for him? My RP hen was inside the coop perched up in the rafters, I think she was scared. But either way, it was a pretty neat thing to see. Too bad I only had my cellphone with me to take the pictures. I usually bring out my good camera, because there is usually something neat down there to take a picture of, but since I was just running down there to get the egg, I didnt bring it.

Forgive the shabby looking coop. Im just beginning to restore it.

82189_0330111511.jpg

82189_0330111511a.jpg

Your phone takes great pictures! I walked out the back door one morning to go feed everyone and I saw 4 turkeys take of. I thought 3 of them were mine going to join the wild ones. Then I saw my 3. Apparently they had a party with some friends. I'm guessing the one up in the trees was the lookout. There have been a lot of wild turkeys around here lately. Unusual, but very cool.

They were back today, those stinkers. I dont know how long they spend out there, maybe all day? I cant see the front of the coop from the house. It is just the two toms, not even any hens or anyone else in the trees..........
hu.gif

Last edited:
i heard a commotion a couple weeks ago and ran out to find a wild turkey on our roof. i suspect he was drawn to the chirpings of my hen. My tom wasn't thrilled to have a rival, but luckily they are penned in. Seems like all the wild boys are looking for girls.

Back
Top Bottom