Funny walk, was this the squat or something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Casii, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Casii

Casii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    One of my EEs, Petunia, didn't come running with the other girls yesterday when I had grapes because she was busy having a spa treatment. When I came into the coop, she got up, but her walking was really weird. Almost like a duck waddle.

After I picked her up and we had a chat for a while, she flew down and her walking was back to normal.

She didn't stop and squat. She actually walk-waddled away from me when I went to pick her up. She has been more 'clingy' lately, always following me around, but I assumed it was for treats. All of my girls are going on 19 weeks.

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It doesn't sound like a squat. Mine will stop dead in their tracks, spread their wings and squat for a few seconds. Then get up and go their merry way. My SLW waddles when she walks now but she is getting quite wide and I think that's why. She's a bit greedy and is quite a large girl.

3. Casii

Casii Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Well, I guess she was just rehearsing to be a duck in a play or something. Back to playing the waiting game...

In another few weeks, I'll be considering dragging the grill over to their run as a little incentive. [​IMG]

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I have 3 crazy chickens who do that same walk!! Im so glad you posted about it! After watching them as much as possible, it looks like they do the waddle walk, almost with their belly's dragging, after a good dust bath...Like a roll on your back, twist and turn dust bath. Its been one constant thing happening just before and during the wierd walking. Good luck to you! Im still waiting for eggs too, and my girls are between 19-22 weeks! goodness its killing me!

5. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    One of my girls did that the other day, I thought it was the funniest thing.

6. Whitey_87

Whitey_87 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Here's why from my observation:

I have noticed the waddle when my my new pullets dust bath and get up to move or are suddenly chased off by the older hens. I know that it is not the dirt weighing them down and causing them to waddle, I think it is more of a wierd feeling in their feathers. They don't understand that they have to shake off the dirt before they move or all that dirt is still stuck in their feathers against their skin.

If I were to guess further it would be dirt that is stuck on their backs...ever notice how if you try to pet a chicken on the back that doesn't want to be petted (not necessarially afraid of you, just doesn't want to be petted) it will squat down and waddle away until it is out from under your hand.

I will say this, when they are waddling around, the bok-bok-bok they make with each step sounds more like a quack-quack-quack.

Yes, I watch them too much.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. chickness

chickness Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Ah, thanks for this reply! Today my 18 week old chick was taking her first "real" dust bath. I found my white Delaware almost black like chimney soot. When she was walking she was doing the, drag the belly on the ground walk. I freaked out as I thought something had been dragging her around the dirt and she was injured. I picked her up looked at her wings, butt etc... As I put her down she stopped and acted normal. As you've mentioned, I think she was just walking funny because of the amount of dirt on her! I think I watch my chickens too much as worry about every thing they do! I am glad to hear others post about the funny dirt bath walk! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by