!!!furious!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stumper, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Stumper

Stumper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    Fayetteville Arkansas
    Well I just lost all 44 of my chicks in my incubator due to a defective thermostat/hygrometer... I have 2 of the same brands, 1 in the incubator and 1 in the brooder pen and come to find out the one in my incubator is 19 degrees off![​IMG] I wrote the company a lovely lil letter about their product and will let you know they reply I get from them.
    It just really erks me that both of these were brand new products and the bad one ends up being the one in the incubator!!![​IMG]:he:he I guess next time I will put a secondary therm/hygro it my incubator as a second opinion!

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Stumper, I am so sorry! What a stinky rotten thing to have happen - I hope the very LEAST the company will do, besides apologize profusely, is to send you another one or two . . . .were they your own eggs or did you buy them?

3. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    Wow, so sorry about that [​IMG]

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

5. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    Gosh, that's awful, so sorry that had to happen to you [​IMG]

6. Stumper

Dec 16, 2009
    Fayetteville Arkansas
    Quote:I purchased them here locally from a very good breeder... I just feel like I have been robbed of the last 3 weeks! Grrrrr..[​IMG]

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Stumper, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. How did you determine you had a bad thermometer and what brand is it?

Thanks,
    Ed

8. Stumper

Dec 16, 2009
    Fayetteville Arkansas
    Acu*rite is the brand and I took 2 identical thermo/hydros and they read the same and the one in the bator was 19 degrees difference.[​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always have two in the incubator for just this reason. It's also a good idea to put new batteries in fairly frequently.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not going to search for them, but there are ways to calibrate thermometers and hygrometers on this forum. I recommend calibration and a back-up to let you know when something is wrong. It is a hard lesson for you and I am sorry it happened to you.

Next time you are at a place that sells thermometers, take a look at a few. They should all read the same, but it is surprising how far off some of them will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by