Furious!

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
I am so furious, I could spit nails!! My rooster spurred the tar out of my today! He didn't want the hens to go outside free ranging with the other rooster. I understand why, but still! We've done it before with no repercussions. That's it, he is gone! I am soooo mad!!

With children around, some under 5, we can't have an aggressive rooster around. Oh I am so mad! He has become aggressive when we try to pick up hens, or check a broody. We certainly don't have room for a dangerous brat! Thanks for letting me vent. Now maybe I can cool down. Off to ice my leg.
sad.png

If you want to keep him, try my page on rooster behavior, the link is in my sig. line. There is some info that might help.

You could also blunt his spurs with a dremel tool, so they won't be dangerous.

I had to re-home my Australorp Roo last fall when he became aggressive toward our younger children. He was so wonderful with his hens and never attempted to mess with me after the first time (I used some of the ideas that Rooster Red talks about).

Now he's very happy in a new home with his own girls and no children in the family. It's a hard decision as to what you should do with him but I wouldn't take any chances with children around.

I really, really miss our Roo, especially his crowing, but there was no way he was staying and potentially hurting my children.

Our Australorp rooster is starting to become aggressive. Is that common in the breed? We have five roosters right now and the Australorp is the only one I'm having problems with. We spent a month driving back and forth out of town to find this silly rooster for our Australorp hens, but even still I want to get rid of him.

We have a very large rooster who is the BIG MAN ON CAMPUS - his name is Flash and his pic is my avatar. I learned from my Dad that in the world of chickens, there can only be one boss so he kept a fly swatter hanging on the door of the coop. Whoever walked in took the swatter and had to watch his p's and q's or he got smacked. I do that with Flash now and it is the funniest thing. The Spring time makes him very agressive and he will run at me side-stepping and dragging his wing - like he has forgotten what I am gonna do about that. SWAT! He staggers around shaking his head like he's not quite sure what just happened! LOL:smack

Thank you Red for the rooster page, and the great advice. Fortunately his spurs had been blunted shortly before this happened. I'll read your page and see what I can do. Thanks very much!

Back
Top Bottom