Future Crazy Chicken Lady in NEPA (north east Pennsylvania), here!

DIYgirl

Songster
6 Years
May 19, 2015
Harford Township, PA
Hello, All! I am SO excited to finally be here! That's me -->
wee.gif

If it's wrong to join this site before getting chickens, I don't want to be right! I hope to have my birds by the first week in June and have wanted chickens my whole life. My biggest worry is finding chicken sitters when I travel that won't announce to the world that we are out of town! Eggs will be wonderful, but I really just want to sit in a comfortable chair with a cool drink in hand and watch my chickens walk around and be happy!

Hopefully I will be finished building my chicken coop by the end of next week. I had to get a dead tree removed before I could build and that just happened on Sunday. I designed the coop myself (drawings below) and am very excited to get started. I got some materials, including a 4'x4' window on Freecycle.com! Does anyone else remember when your flock's house was just a drawing and dream?

My flock will be a mix of breeds, and I only want 4-6 birds. My favorites are Ameraucana, Buff Orpington, Delaware and Barred Rock, but I am open to other breeds that you think will be cold-hardy and fantastic!

I heard about BackYardChickens.com through my Farm Unit research. I teach a farm unit at my job as a teacher of 14 yr olds and chickens are the first barnyard creatures that we learn about - this site is used for research by my students as they plan and build virtual farms of their own.

Hobbies, I have a-many: diy-er (I can tile with the best of them!), wanna-be farmer (this full-time job thing is a bit of a bummer sometimes), nature walker, painter, beaded jewelry designer, photographer, stamped/homemade card maker (Personalized, held-in-your-hand correspondence isn't dead! Join the revolution - make and send a card today!), kayaker, traveler, snorkeler, The Walking Dead watcher, Crafty Night hostess - you get the idea - all 'round crafty person!

Being a country girl at home is when I am happiest. I believe in personal accountability and fiscal conservatism. I love my job, but I would be home in a heartbeat to farm/garden (my favorite t-shirt says, "FARMERS - somebody has to feed you people"), build stuff and be outside as much as possible. I have an extraordinary husband, but he has absolutely no interest in this chicken love of mine, so I am on my own with this venture. I have a husky-mix (pretty black dog below) who would eat chickens if given the chance, as would my parents' basset/wirehair terrier mix (spotty boy below), thus the attached run for when they are out.

My hopes from this site are to find a network of incredibly awesome, supportive people with similar interests and personalities that I can get to know, be virtual and/or actual friends with, and maybe buy chickens from, too!

Thanks for the opportunity of an introduction!

~DIYgirl

My coop design:

My pups:

The first chicken pic I ever pinned to my Home Grown Farm Ideas board & would LOVE to have this breed (Ameraucana):

Me
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have loved reading through your wonderful intro and looking at your pics. You have certainly come to the right place for lots of like minded people on chickens. It's great you could join before you start out with your birds and you are most welcome. Sounds like you are very busy with your teaching and your hobbies that's a great mix you have there. Lots of relaxing time you will be able to have when you get your flock started and are able to watch chicken TV. It's great and very relaxing, I find it vey therapeutic sitting out with them watching them going about their chicken business.

Wishing you the very best of luck getting started and be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Last edited:
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have loved reading through your wonderful intro and looking at your pics. You have certainly come to the right place for lots of like minded people on chickens. It's great you could join before you start out with your birds and yiu are most welcome. Sounds like yiu are very busy with your teaching and your hobbies that's a great mix you have there. Lots of relaxing time you will be able to have when you get your flock started and are able to watch chicken TV. It's great and very relaxing, I find it vey therapeutic sitting out with them watching them going about their chicken business.

Wishing you the very best of luck getting started and be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to Backyard chickens, you are going to seem awfully normal among so many crazy chicken people but, don't despair. We have had a Conehead and now we have a Mermaid., BTW does it run in your family?. Do you have to travel with a portable pool?
gig.gif
I confess being a Conehead caused me problems but the BYC folks embraced me just the same. You're gonna love it here.

As to running in the family - on my mom's side - I have a pic of her, but the site will not give me a photo upload option in the reply window. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom