GA feed Mill issues

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Livinzoo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I'm in GA and most feed mills don't sell to the public. I found one that does but they require you to purchase 6000lbs of feed. Any other ideas on how to get cheaper feed than Tractor supply? I'm paying about $15 for a 50lb bag of crumbles and most of it is dust that they won't eat. I don't see any pellets there.

2. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Ask Mr./Miss Tractor Supply Associate if they have pellets tucked away in some obscure corner they never let the public see, or ask if they can get them? It may be a case of them not selling well in your area so they were removed from the inventory for that store?
    Someone mentioned a while back in another thread that they purchased the floor sweepings from a grain mill and fed that since it was mostly grains that got were spilled on the floor, perhaps one of the mills near you would strike a deal with you for the floor sweepings????
    I just got a 50# bag of chick starter for $12.15 yesterday but that is here in Tx.
    edited to correct bad spelling (SHAME ON YOU HAND, bad hand bad!)!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Do you have any other feed stores near you? I live in Perry which has a small feed store where I buy FRM Layer pellets. I had good luck with these. The last a bought was $10.20 for 50lb. I like it alot better than that at Tractor Supply. FRM(Flint River Mills) is made in Bainbridge, GA.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sure wish you could get up to the Co-op here. Layer is about $10 for 50 lb. I dont know if they have crumble or just pellets in layer feed since I only buy pellets.

5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Cyn-
    I plan on visiting you in July and will definitely stock up at your co-op. Thanks for the reminder. Just have to get these guys by for a few more weeks on Tractor supply stuff.

6. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    you can always add water to the "dust" and make like a dough for the chickens , they love it. And feed prices are high due to the higher world demand for corn and other crops.

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    $18.50 for 50 lbs of layer here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by