Gaggle split 3 + 1

telandra2

Songster
Apr 29, 2021
Spokane, WA
So my gaggle has divided itself into a trio and 1 solo hen who keeps to the fringes of the group. Should I get another gander for the loner or is this just a breeding season thing that'll settle out later or otherwise not a concern? The gander does seem to be mating with all 3 ladies. All sleep together fine. No fighting beyond what seems to be pecking order stuff. 2 of the hens are also thinking about being broody by sitting on the nest a few hours a day (one in the morning, the other around 2pm to sunset.)

I'm a bit worried that adding a new gander at this time of the year is just going to make things worse with fighting boys.

Just guessing but seems to me adding a gander during mating season would stress the system...
My boys have bouts that get pretty gruesome (no blood, just lots of yelping), and they have all been together for 1-2 years.

So my gaggle has divided itself into a trio and 1 solo hen who keeps to the fringes of the group. Should I get another gander for the loner or is this just a breeding season thing that'll settle out later or otherwise not a concern? The gander does seem to be mating with all 3 ladies. All sleep together fine. No fighting beyond what seems to be pecking order stuff. 2 of the hens are also thinking about being broody by sitting on the nest a few hours a day (one in the morning, the other around 2pm to sunset.)

I'm a bit worried that adding a new gander at this time of the year is just going to make things worse with fighting boys.
Only way you could do it without fighting would be to get another gander and separate the goose and gander from the others. Once breeding season is over and there aren't goslings they would probably be fine together. Separating but where everyone can see each other.

Back
Top Bottom