GAH! Having trouble getting brooder temp where I want it

Quote:
I started just watching my chicks behavior as well. I was driving myself insane trying to keep the temp perfect. It varied depending on the time of day because I didn't have a top on it. The temp under the light is 100 degrees and they do like it there, but don't huddle. When I have it down to 90-95 they are in one big blob and refuse to go to the other side of the brooder to eat. They're all doing well (except for the one that starved to death, but she was a lost cause) so I think it's alright.

Just did some more fiddling with the brooder. Swapped out the 60 watt for the 100w reptile bulb because they were huddling, but if that's too warm I'm going to switch it with a 75w reptile bulb. I also installed a second light on the other half because they weren't spending any time over there. I put a 40w soft white bulb on that side with the food and water. That way I could remove the space heater and drape a towel over the entire front of the brooder. I think they'll be much more inclined to wander around the brooder now.

Also, 10 of my 12 mille fleur cochin eggs hatched!!! I'm on my way to pick them up so the silkies won't be so lonely
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom