Gaining & Maintaining Weight in Harsh Climate

My White Leghorn looks the most upset - she was the one that really stood out to me this AM that looked really distraught.. Like she'd drank a gallon of coffee. Hubby picked up all the supplies today to set up a heat lamp so we don't have to have the regular light on so much, he should be home with it soon... noobie oopsie..
hu.gif

Last edited:
Birds of that size do not require supplemental heat. They would benefit with respect to egg production but that benefit is likely outweighed by the risk of heating a small coop where fire risk will be greatly increased. They are much tougher than many suspect. Birds shown below had to tolerate -13 F with 30 mph winds in situation shown and none developed frost bite. You setting without supplemental heating will be a cakewalk in comparison once wind-chill is taken into consideration.

I did a thorough check of my birds tonight. I checked 3 of 6 as they were most easily accessible.. 2 of 3 of them had a little bit of lice on them at skin level, around their vents.. treating them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Treated the girls yesterday morning and by the afternoon their appetites were back, for the first time in over a week they ate all their food. This morning they acted like they hadn't been fed in a week and dug right in again.

Thanks for all the help. Also picked up some BOSS.

Back
Top Bottom