Galavanized stock tank as a duck pond

Aki no niwatori

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia, Upson
Hullos,
I am looking to pick out a material or prefabricated thing to turn into a duck pond. I am going to be getting some metal stock tanks to use for a temporary project and i was wondering if anyone has had issues using them for ducks. Like for their pond. So far i have read great things about plants in them but not if it is okay for ducks to swim in. I would assume so if they use it for water troughs but i just wanted to confirm the ducks would not have an issue with the zinc.

Plus if i put a ramp would it prevent chicken drowning?

I have a brick island in each of my tanks, it gives a place for an animal/chicken/whatever to climb on to get out of the water. I even keep cinder blocks in the middle of each regular water troughs due to baby goats accidently jumping in. If you build a ramp, could you post pictures?

I have a dug into the ground above ground pool. My experience is the birds do not like the sudden drop-off. It wasn't until I put a kiddie pool next to the 'pond' that they used it. They'll play in the little pool then hop the edge to drop into the larger. 12ft is great for waterfowl antics.

Exiting can also be a problem if the water gets below about 1" of the edge. Adult ducks flap out, but ducklings and heavy geese need a ramp. Make sure it is well textured and extends far enough below the water so they can walk up it, which eats up a lot if swimming space. A brick/log climb pile on top of a fish cave is this year's experiment.

Afaik the zinc in galvanized is toxic once it starts to go. I have a steel water dish I thought was galvanized that is very rusty after only 3 years. Personally I'd choose plastic.

Back
Top Bottom