Gallimycin - egg discard period

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChicKat, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hope this is the right place for my question.....

If you have used Gallimycin on your chickens, what is the length of the egg discard/withdrawal period?
    Also -- do you feed the eggs back to your hens or dogs?

Thanks for anyone's experience/opinions.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Withdrawal for gallimycin is 24 hours. Discard the eggs in the garbage. Feeding discarded eggs to hens extends the withdrawal period because of the residue in the egg. I wouldnt feed it to dogs neither. You dont want bacterial resistance built up when you truly need to use an antibiotic.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thank you Dawg, wow, that is quick.

4. Kansas Gal

Kansas Gal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Man, Dawg, I have to say I am breathing a sigh of relief! I used the Gallimycin on my laying hens. A friend who shows and judges poultry gave it to me to use, so I did not have the package to read. I ordered it and got a package of Gallimycin today, and it says not to use Gallimycin in hens used for laying eggs! I currently have the hens on a 3-week withdrawal from Wazine right now, so I am happy to hear you say such a short withdrawal period on Gallimycin! I know a lot of these antibiotics, etc are used, even though it says not to use them in laying hens, due to liability, I guess, even if there is only a 24-hour withdrawal period! I was afraid I would just end up with 50 pets, rather than layers! I have said it before - Dawg, you da MAN! Thanks!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There's only a 2 week withdrawal for slaughter using wazine. If the chicken is good to eat after 2 weeks, so are the eggs!

6. Kansas Gal

Kansas Gal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Thanks again SO much! I have been stewing over all this since the nightmare with the worms began, then respiratory, etc. I am SO relieved, you cannot imagine! My egg numbers are really going up now, so I am just one happy camper! My vet is the one who told me that the Wazine withdrawal period was 17 days, but she recommended a full 3 week withdrawal. In any event, I am happy! Thanks just one more time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by