Galvanized shed conversion possible? Or bad idea?

BonNuit

Songster
Jul 20, 2020
Northeastern Ohio
I am wondering if something like this can be converted into a coop -- or if it's just a terrible idea all around. I realize that ventilation, roosts, etc. would need to be added -- just wondering if it's something others have done and ends up being a bad idea in the long run.

On the surface, this looks like a cheaper, and easier option for a large, walk-in, coop that I can attach to my current run that wouldn't require a lot of lumber, tools, and skill.

Galvanized Steel Storage Shed

Some people have done it and you can find their threads using the search feature.

The main issue is getting adequate ventilation located where it is most needed, up high above the birds' heads, without letting rain inside and solving the problem of condensation dripping into the bedding.

I personally wouldn't buy one to use as a coop but if someone gave me one free I'd use it.

However, the method I'd choose -- taking one wall out completely to replace it with wire -- might not work in your climate.

Some people have done it and you can find their threads using the search feature.

The main issue is getting adequate ventilation located where it is most needed, up high above the birds' heads, without letting rain inside and solving the problem of condensation dripping into the bedding.

I personally wouldn't buy one to use as a coop but if someone gave me one free I'd use it.

However, the method I'd choose -- taking one wall out completely to replace it with wire -- might not work in your climate.
X2

X3

So you think having one wall wire only will work to manage condensation etc? As I’m looking at similar. In Australia it gets hot more than it does very cold.

So you think having one wall wire only will work to manage condensation etc? As I’m looking at similar. In Australia it gets hot more than it does very cold.

I just replied to your other post with more details, but you'd need to provide cross ventilation by taking some siding off the tops of the walls as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom