game bird feed for mixed flock. Is it okay?

HortenseCumberbatch

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
hey everybody. I have three ducks (two khacki cambells and a pekin) and three chickens. I got them all at the same time, they're around the same age. I'm aware ducks develop a lot faster than chickens (boy do they ever!!!). I feed my ducks game bird/water fowl food and the chickens were getting chick starter. They share an area and in the beginning I noticed both types of birds prefer the game bird food. I understand it's very tasty to encourage eating. The animals also have access to forage. So I'm wondering if I can just give the whole flock game bird feed. I swear I read somewhere that it was fine to do that as opposed to feeding the mixed flock purely chicken feed and as I was perusing the forum I am seeing contradictory information. The flock all share a run and coop together and after trial and error it seems to be working fine now. I am considering making a separate duck house as I want more chickens. I also have a stream that I may allow the ducks to check out during the day time. As always I appreciate any advice. This forum is so totally helpful.

Thanks for the reply. What are your thoughts about giving both sets of birds access to both types of food? That seems like the less workable idea to me but I don't know.

My chickens, geese and turkeys all eat gamebird feed. My chickens feathers are gorgeous and their combs and wattles are nice and red. I've been feeding gamebird feed for a while now, and haven't noticed any ill effects. It is more expensive than layer feed, but I figure my birds are worth the extra money. I do feed oyster shell and crushed egg shell for calcium. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom