1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game Bird Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Master S.M.C, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi all, I wanted to know if I can feed my Brahma and Jersey Giant chicks game bird feed. Also if I can for how long.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I feed all my chicks game bird starter. They grow real nice on it [​IMG]

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We feed our Jersey's and BO's game feed in a pinch when we don't have time to make a trip to the feed store. It is more costly, game feed is more nutritional because of the game chickens dietary needs vs. regular chicken, it also has a lot more protein, at least the kind we buy. I don't let them eat it for weeks on end only a few days at most because of the cost.

4. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    We had a small experiment with Game Bird food vs. Start and Grow. The chicks who were fed Starter grew a lot quicker than the chicks who were eating the game bird feed. I would feed Starter for a while first and then give them the game bird feed. Game bird feed does cost a bit more though.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    the game bird feed around here is 28% protien and the start n grow is 20%. 28% protien isn't recommend for chickens.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by