1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game Fowl combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cheyfrie26, Oct 26, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Someone came and gave me a game rooster. It looks exactly like one except its comb. It has a walnut comb. Is that normal in this breed?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are a number of breeds of game birds, and yes, some have rose or walnut or pea combs. Depends on the specific breed.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the Term "Game Fowl" is a generic name for all types of Game like birds, Old English Game, American Game, australian Game, a "Game" Bird can have any type of comb, Old English Games can only have single combs..

4. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    it could have been dubbed "cut off " game roos are supposed to be dubbed for showing

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If it has a walnut comb, it was not dubbed. However, tehre is the possibility thta it is being compared to birds with dubbed combs.

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Sonoran I am trying to PM you about SQ Barred Silkies and I can't, seems like your inbox is full..

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Actually that ONLY is for Modern and Old English Gamefowl. [​IMG] Orientals like Shamos, Asils, Malays, - Don't need dubbing. Americans aren't APA recognized so you don't often see them in shows but they are showable to their own organization, in which I don't always see dubbed birds.

8. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    You might have been given a Kraienkoppe. They have gamefowl ancestry but are not technically game because roosters can live in harmony with each other. They have walnut combs as you described.

9. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:Actually that ONLY is for Modern and Old English Gamefowl. [​IMG] Orientals like Shamos, Asils, Malays, - Don't need dubbing. Americans aren't APA recognized so you don't often see them in shows but they are showable to their own organization, in which I don't always see dubbed birds.

really! cause the judge disqualified my shamo one year cause it wasnt dubbed! now im just mad!!!!!

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Orientals like Shamos, Asils, Malays, - Don't need dubbing.

they do if they "Game" them, some people do it to have the feeling of a "Real" Game Stag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by