1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game hen price question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by awalters0815, Mar 18, 2011.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Is $25 a good price for a game hen?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Are you trying to sell or buy, and are you breeding gamefowl or do you just want some game hens around the house?

3. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I'm buying. I do not plan to breed, but may use the hen to hatch chicks in the future. I just like the breed. I've been looking for a while and have seen price vary greatly. The current hens I found are for 25 each. Roosters are the same price, but I wouldn't be getting one.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Guess a lot of it depends on where you are and who you are buying from. Around here (SE Oklahoma) you can getting for around $10 - $15, sometimes less and sometimes more. You could look at it as a comparison with the cost of an incubator (foam type) is gonna run you around $50 and is not as reliable as a hen when it comes to incubation.

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Depends on the age too, I wouldn't mind paying $25 for a nice young bird that is a good layer and is healthy, but you may want to talk them down a bit. If someone comes to my house to buy a bird, which isn't too often, if they offer me 15 and I am asking 20 I'll let them have it for 15.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by