Game hens, what are they?

Very interesting.....I wonder if it hangs out with big foot, nessie and the easer bunny
smile.png

there's a grey gene...?

i just picked up a serama hen that is white, but has some grey color under her feathers... i thought she was platinum, since she came from chocolate breeding that is both choc and dun... but i don't think there was any blue or self blue in that breeding...

must experiment with her now... how does the "grey" gene breed..?

Quote:
they are lemon blue patterned, but have a definite tint to the blue. this is something i've noticed in other families of blue games - you'll see hens with feathers that are intermixed throughout the body that look blue and brown at the same time. keeping in mind that "blue" gamefowl were originally referred to as "duns" in England I suspect it is some sort of gene that has not yet been fully documented and investigated. I've seen this shade in Arkansas Travelers, Koopman Toppies and Miner Blues

Quote:
they are lemon blue patterned, but have a definite tint to the blue. this is something i've noticed in other families of blue games - you'll see hens with feathers that are intermixed throughout the body that look blue and brown at the same time. keeping in mind that "blue" gamefowl were originally referred to as "duns" in England I suspect it is some sort of gene that has not yet been fully documented and investigated. I've seen this shade in Arkansas Travelers, Koopman Toppies and Miner Blues

Thank you for the info, I kept that picture as those hens have always fascinated me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you are some how in disbelief of actual scientist doing their research and comparing them with the easter bunny! yet you believe hearsay from game breeders?

its ok to each their own

Edit.
I still think they are Dun based...

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you are some how in disbelief of actual scientist doing their research and comparing them with the easter bunny! yet you believe hearsay from game breeders?

its ok to each their own

Edit.

I was joking nica, badly I guess....I would tend to agree, blue or dun, but with something else in there....I have had that picture saved for a few years, as the color on those 3 hens fascinated me. Hope you can shed some light to what they are genetically.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its ok to each their own

Edit.

I was joking nica, badly I guess....I would tend to agree, blue or dun, but with something else in there....I have had that picture saved for a few years, as the color on those 3 hens fascinated me. Hope you can shed some light to what they are genetically.

its ok, I am already asking a few friends about it, let me see what they say...

Fparelgrijsroodberken.JPG

Maybe a Brown Red and Dun/Khaki mix... Solid Khaki X Brown Red, kinda resembling a crowwing X black/blue

Theres my thought, and nothing more. i didnt breed it so i wouldnt know.

Back
Top Bottom