Game rooster behavior

Jan 22, 2024
Hello everyone. I have 3 game chickens with my regular flock. Had 6 but that darn fox!…. One game is a rooster. He has started to crow. He tried to fight my boot 2 weeks ago. I flipped him across the stall(gently) and he stopped. Since then he follows me all over the barn. Watches me and won’t leave my side. Makes me nervous lol. He will eat from my hand when I let him. I’m not sure about turning my back on him. Is he turning tame maybe? Thanks!

Is he turning tame maybe?
I doubt it. Any chance you could get a video, upload it to YouTube, and paste the link here? Text descriptions don't work well when it comes to rooster behavior because the same action can have many different interpretations.
Based on the limited information you gave, I would work on keeping him out of my space (about 2 feet away from me, more if he's acting too interested) by moving him away with body language and gently with the side of my foot if needed, against his side, not his chest. It doesn't sound like his aggression stems from fear... did he grow up being handled frequently?

Welcome to BYC!

I doubt it. Any chance you could get a video, upload it to YouTube, and paste the link here? Text descriptions don't work well when it comes to rooster behavior because the same action can have many different interpretations.
Based on the limited information you gave, I would work on keeping him out of my space (about 2 feet away from me, more if he's acting too interested) by moving him away with body language and gently with the side of my foot if needed, against his side, not his chest. It doesn't sound like his aggression stems from fear... did he grow up being handled frequently?

Welcome to BYC!
Thanks for reply. Got them when they were 4 months old. Could hold him a few times. Not now. Will get video asap. He crows as soon as he hears me enter barn. Then follows me all over. I talk to him like I do the rest. My laying hens can be held and petted. He stands close to me and watches everything I do. Really. Like I said, makes me nervous. But I don’t let him know it.

Thanks for reply. Got them when they were 4 months old. Could hold him a few times. Not now. Will get video asap. He crows as soon as he hears me enter barn. Then follows me all over. I talk to him like I do the rest. My laying hens can be held and petted. He stands close to me and watches everything I do. Really. Like I said, makes me nervous. But I don’t let him know it.
Trust me, he senses your being nervous. I have never had a human aggressive game rooster. But Old English Game Bantams are another story. I had one fly up and hit me in the temple a year or so ago when I was reaching into his coop and it felt like a blow from a hammer... damn near knocked me out.

Back
Top Bottom