gamebird farm

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenshow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. chickenshow

chickenshow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    so now that i am older i am looking to start my own gamebird farm here in missouri and i was wondering how you all got started with gamebirds and your facilities and how you manage them i am pretty much looking for any advise you are willing to give me i was also wondering do u have ur farm at your house cause mine would be started on the land i inherited about 6 miles from my house thanks for any help
    chickenshow

2. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I bought eggs... [​IMG] Now the chicks are in the brooder, more eggs are in the bator and we are still building the pens! [​IMG] My pens will be at my house, and I am slowly working up to more birds, pens and varieties. I'm going to have to get licensed to own/sell the birds, but have to figure out what I want to own and how many first... What do you plan on raising and what do you plan to do with them?

3. chickenshow

Aug 2, 2007
    well im hoping to have chukars and bobwhite quail and then maybe add courtnix quail later on but we have a truck camper that we r going to cut to use as winter housing to put the pens in and the are staying in kinda like rabbit hutches when i first start out and im still looking for a market

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Banker chiming in here.

It is cool that you have decided to try something new, but I would suggest taking the time to sketch out a basic business plan. I have a template I can email you if you are interested.

Would you be releasing these birds for hunters on your own property, or selling them to other pay to play hunting areas? I know some end users are falconers who want to train their birds as well.

Some other markets have been discussed for quail eggs, etc. in communities with a high density of folks from Japan, China, and other western Pacific countries. It would be interesting to see how this develops.

Andy

5. chickenshow

Aug 2, 2007
    ya we have a large market for quail hgunting clubs and i would maybe later on want to start my own and i would be veryinterested in that template you have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by