Gamebird feed OK for chicks?

dekel18042

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our local feed store carries starter, grower, all flock, and layer food for chickens. I have the younger chicks (5 weeks to 4 months old) on grower feed. I went in to buy feed for them last week and the store was out of grower. After looking at the different alternatives I realized the game bird feed ("flock specialty") was very similar to the grower, but was 2% higher in protein.
I bought a 50 lb bag until the grower came in, but after thinking about this, is there any reason the chicks shouldn't eat this? What about mixing it with their chick starter?
What about occasionally giving it to the laying hens or mixing it with their layer crumbles? I sometimes give the laying hens treats of dog and cat kibble which they love and which I read is good to help them regrow feathers after a molt. So if they can have that, why not the specialty feed?
By the way, back when I was a kid we had chickens, bantams, ducks and geese and they all ate the same food and free ranged.

I know some folks do feed game bird feed. I've heard that often it is superior nutrition (not just the higher protein) compared to most chicken feeds. Everything you described sounds fine, the only thing I would caution is that if you do mix it with your layer feed for the layers, be sure to also offer 24/7 crushed oyster shells on the side, since their calcium source will now be diluted.

I know some folks do feed game bird feed. I've heard that often it is superior nutrition (not just the higher protein) compared to most chicken feeds. Everything you described sounds fine, the only thing I would caution is that if you do mix it with your layer feed for the layers, be sure to also offer 24/7 crushed oyster shells on the side, since their calcium source will now be diluted.

Thanks, I do offer oyster shells on the side, especially when the birds are free ranging they seem to eat very little. I did like the ingredients in the game bird feed so I probably will keep buying some. Just didn't want to do anything detrimental to their well being.

Back
Top Bottom