Gamefowl types, give knowledge to me.

GhettoRoo

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Hallo!
So I want to get a knowledge about game chickens.
It would be great to start from somewhere, so I want to know the purest games and give a positon to every one by his phisical genetic type.
Genetic types.
1. American Game
American games, two popularesr colours. Brown have trimmed comb and wattles.
2. Asils (originated from Pakistan and India) main cockfightingasils ~ 2.7 kg, Kulangs: 5-7 kg
So Asils we can gen In big variety of weight.
Brown Asil(mby reza) and light Kulang Asil.
And then there comes all these: (Malay, Thai, Shamo, Saipan, Madagascar)
Mby Satsumadori, looks little different, more like American game.. Please tell me, correct me, if there are some major differences, but for me these all I put in one pot.
Between American Game and Asils I see genetic difference. So is there other games of different genetics?
3. Indian Game/Cornish Weight: Cock: 3.8 Kg Hen: 2.5 kg (thes are breed under asils, yes?)

4. Yokohama Weight: Cock: 1.8 - 2.7 Kg. Hen: 1.1 - 1.8 Kg

5. Орловская Ситцевая/Russian Orloff Cock: 4-4.5 kg Hen: 2.5-3.2 kg

OK! This is my view of Gamefowls. Btw, In my country I have acces to get/buy, Kulang Asil and Russian Orloff. Had seen In chicken zoo a Yokohama and mby other else decorative game birds.
...Random stuff: These gamesbirds will always fight seeing other rooster. RIR too, RIR have some gamefowl blood yes?
Mainly I have knowledge about laying breeds witch have a lot of variety of behaviors.
So only I could see and wander is it will be close as good as gamefowls.
For example this
Russian Galan: Cock: 3.5-4.0 kg Hen: 2.7-4.0 kg

Stately.
Even Auracanas, EE etc looks good in stance.

Alright. Give me some stuff. :) Btw, needed to save my knowledge about this somewhere anyway.

You should ask this in the show your games thread. Read up in there you'll get an idea. The ones in there should be able to answer your questions eventhough it's mostly geared to Americans. Of the ones u listed I personally only recognize the Americans and orientals as dead game.

Hello,

I wouldn't consider RIR or any laying breed to have game traits. The Russian Orloff and Cornishses may look a little game (in the face and stance) but they dont have temperment to be called game.

People who breed gamefowl are extremely sensitive about what they call game... just because a rooster may fight that doesnt mean he is game... that just means he is a rooster (most fight to establish pecking order and terr). Game is a term used to describe unconditional willingness to continue the fight at all costs, including death.

I would say the top game breeds are as follows;

-American Game
-Old English Game (not bantam)
-Orientals (Asil, Thai, Shamo, Malay, etc)
-Spanish Game (Cuban, Peruvian, Dominican, etc)
-Austrialian pit games

Some others that are debatable (in my opinion)

-Chubalya
-Modern Game
-Longtails (phoenix, yokohamas)
-Bantam varieties

Gamefowl are under selective pressure right now in countries where cockfighting has been banned. A breeder usually has to choose to either maintain gameness, or select for beauty. Basically a show quality cock may not be as game as his uglier brother. This happened in England a long time ago and now they have two different gamefowl breeds, one is game the other isnt (or so I have heard).

Hello,

I wouldn't consider RIR or any laying breed to have game traits. The Russian Orloff and Cornishses may look a little game (in the face and stance) but they dont have temperment to be called game.
Thx for your information.
So, basically the games are all chickens which have lived in wild conditions.. RIR or 99% other breeds never had lived in wild conditions.
``So as seriously neglected but thriving landrace breed will be extremely hardy, fast and strong too.``( Quote from @chooks4life )
OK, this https://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/chickens/campine/ campine mby too had lived in wild conditions, if it really is pure breed, but dont have game temperament..
So these ar the two main, pure breed mothers of all today breeds?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_junglefowl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_junglefowl
If there is others, please show me.

P.S, in first post I was thought about just gamefowl body type, athletic skills, strenght, etc not just temperament as willingness to continue the fight at all costs, including death.
Btw, there probably isnt better chicken in athletic skills than all these games.. Except chickens with game body but not game temperament, on which I im looking for.. Probably these Russian Orloff, cornishes aint worse than other games, they just dont gonna be as determined to win..

Do I have kind a good view?

P.S.S, Im gonna Edit first post, posting all games, by numbers as I did with first 2. And then just game body type chickens. Which Im searching too.

Last edited:
Games do have a wild side to them and fair better than most breeds when it comes to free ranging. I often call mine wild chickens when trying to sell them to unimformed buyers.

Their athletic abilites are one of the reasons they do well in wild type setting. They are strong, fast and fly very well. Hens go brood often and are very protective. Much like the wild ansestors that you mentioned. Mainly the Red Jungle Fowl.. The Green jungle fowl is a small portion of domesticated chickens and is still somewhat debated.

Another thing that all true games have is hard feathers. Most domestic chickens have soft feathers. I also head that a lot of domestic breeds a missing a vertebrate which is why the roosters have stubby tails as opposed to the games which normally have long tail feathers.

I cannot think of any game looking roosters that can co-exist peacefuly. If someone could breed this I have no doubt they would be popular... except with people who breed true games.
The Campine breed seems kind of wild but I wouldnt call it game... but it reminded me of the Egyptian Fayoumi.. .which is a very wild breed that is game lookng.. dont know if they are fighters...

Back
Top Bottom