Gand aggressive toward drake

Oneacre Homestead

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Hi my Gand is beating up on my drake... They were raised together, but now I am afraid the drake is going to end up dead. I have a great little pool over a drain set up and I cannot do another one. So it has to be one or the other....
my question is do you think removing the drake will solve the problem? Or could this gander be a bad seed? He has never been aggressive towards us, but spring is on the way....

Hi my Gand is beating up on my drake... They were raised together, but now I am afraid the drake is going to end up dead. I have a great little pool over a drain set up and I cannot do another one. So it has to be one or the other....
my question is do you think removing the drake will solve the problem? Or could this gander be a bad seed? He has never been aggressive towards us, but spring is on the way....

I would separate if your worried your drake will end up dead, I had to separate my gander and drake for a while then the drake finally learned to stay clear of the gander, I would let them free range together and be there to stop any fighting, finally after the first summer only together with supervision they are now able to stay in the open area together, as long as the drake knows his bounderies. Good luck. It's only natural behavior

What is your flock situation? Do you have other geese and ducks? You may be dealing with a territorial situation or it may be a mating issue.

Geese are very territorial during breeding season.

Yes, your drake could get hurt. Not because the gander intends to kill him, but because of the size difference.

thank you for the replies!
I separated the drake and the poor little guy is as light as a feather! I think the gander must have been keeping him away from the food and water! I am going to work on a separate paddock for all the ducks. I think I will have to choose one, geese or ducks, in the long run, though. Too bad. I hoped that if I raised them together they would work it out. I have a big yard, too. The drake(the nutcase!) would try to mount the female geese, so one can hardly blame the gander for hating him.

thank you for the replies!
I separated the drake and the poor little guy is as light as a feather! I think the gander must have been keeping him away from the food and water! I am going to work on a separate paddock for all the ducks. I think I will have to choose one, geese or ducks, in the long run, though. Too bad. I hoped that if I raised them together they would work it out. I have a big yard, too. The drake(the nutcase!) would try to mount the female geese, so one can hardly blame the gander for hating him.

Do you have females ducks for your drake?

Back
Top Bottom