Gander getting clumsy!?

When i worm my chickens my ducks and goose get wormed also since they share the same waterers, I use wazine for round worms and then I use Epernix pour-on on my ducks and goose once a year in the winter when they aren't bathing as often, that way they are getting rid of internal and external parasites at once. I don't know if worming would help but if they have never been wormed it would be worth a try, although all I have read in the Book of Geese by Dave Holderread they are pretty resistant to diseases and parasites. If i wasn't worming my chickens I doubt they would get internal worming with wazine. But just to be sure they were parasite free in the winter months I would continue to use the Epernix pour on for external parasites. Now that maybe be something you should look at, have you checked him for lice or mites on the outside? If they have acsess to bathing daily then that may not be a problem but if your like here there are sometimes a month at a time when it's too cold to give them bathing water because it freezes so fast, thats when they can get external parasites. I didn't mean to write a book just hoping to help you figure out what maybe going on. Is he off his feed at all?

I wondered if that might be a cause. Thank you for the suggestion and yes I will worm him promptly.

Also look him over for external parasites, lice will be on the end of the feather shaft next to the skin and around the vent and under the wings. mites look like tiny pepper and both will cause anemia and even death id left untreated.

I went to the local feed mill and asked for poultry wormer. He looked at me like I was nuts. He had wormer for all kinds of animals but couldn't recommend anything for poultry. I should have googled it before going as I couldn't request anything by name.The gander has no external parasites.

I went to the local feed mill and asked for poultry wormer. He looked at me like I was nuts. He had wormer for all kinds of animals but couldn't recommend anything for poultry. I should have googled it before going as I couldn't request anything by name.The gander has no external parasites.

Wazine is the only poultry wormer that says is for poultry, but there are other wormers that can be used, Safe guard, Ivermectin pour on and also the kind you mix in water, Epernix pouron, Valbazen. just to name a few, you can also order online or if you have a TSC pretty close they will have wormers. Our feed store is pretty pitiful so I have to drive 50miles round trip to TSC for things like that.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...k8cZso&sig=AHIEtbQjrfmGRxDw5B_UrnbGKxNg1QMpTQ
This will help you decide which one is the best for your gander.

Last edited:
Thank you for the excellent replies. I know the feed store sells some of these.
I just hope it helps, worming can be hard on them so after worming be sure to feed the best quality feed you can buy and it's too bad they won't eat yogurt because it has the probiotics that is good for getting the gut clam after a worming. Have you noticed him being off his feed? does he look in good weight? But after you worm start him back on the ACV that will help.

He has taken a turn for the worst today. Not eating or drinking. He sat in the same place most of the day. I think if it is worms, treatment is to late. I noticed he started shaking his head. This is new. Maybe it is an inner ear infection.I don't think he'll be around much longer and I'm sad to lose him.

He has taken a turn for the worst today. Not eating or drinking. He sat in the same place most of the day. I think if it is worms, treatment is to late. I noticed he started shaking his head. This is new. Maybe it is an inner ear infection.I don't think he'll be around much longer and I'm sad to lose him.

I am so sorry to hear this, the problem with these guys is they go down hill so fast because they are so good at hiding their sickness from us. I know you are heart broken but i would keep the ACV in the drinking water it is a good tonic. Please let us know about him and I will be thinking about you both.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom