Ganders on duck?

quackenboss

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2016
Huntsville, Texas
Twice now I have caught two of my 12 week old male white Chinese ganders ganging up on my Cayuga duck. One gander holds her head under water and the other attempts to mate her. I can hear the poor thing trying to quack and it sounds more like a glub-glub. I have been able to separate them but what if I'm not around? These are free-range birds that were raised together. Is there any way to protect my duck other than whacking the ganders? And why is it always the Cayuga?

welcome-byc.gif
They need to be separated or they will eventually drown her while trying to breed her.

Twice now I have caught two of my 12 week old male white Chinese ganders ganging up on my Cayuga duck. One gander holds her head under water and the other attempts to mate her. I can hear the poor thing trying to quack and it sounds more like a glub-glub. I have been able to separate them but what if I'm not around? These are free-range birds that were raised together. Is there any way to protect my duck other than whacking the ganders? And why is it always the Cayuga?
I have 1 Muscovy duck that my geese do this too. So sourland is right they need to be separated. Testosterone will get them into trouble and sad fate for the duck.

Oh boy, that will be tricky. I had thought adding some females might be the answer but it seems like the Cayuga might be the "chosen one" no matter what. Thanks, Miss Lydia and sourland for your waterfowl wisdom!

Back
Top Bottom