gangrene / amputation? (Photos)

Gosh I failed to answer every question - sorry - the toe that looked good had some circulation but limited. The toe was beginning to turn black at the tip (by the nail) and today it was all black. So in time it too was gunna go. 😢

I do worry that the cage she’s in isn’t big enough to flap her wings and find her footing - so much to my husbands chagrin I might get the bigger cage down from the attic-but we shall see it’s only been a couple hours. 😁

I'm so glad to know the surgery went well!! :weeAlso amazed the bill was only $100. Sounds like you have a great vet who still charges an affordable fee; that combination is hard to find in this day and age. Polly is adorable! Please keep updating her progress; your experience and knowledge gained from this will help others in the future facing a similiar decision. Plus she's really cute, and will be fun to see her grow.:)

The update is on Page 4 at the bottom…I’ve noticed on my phone and iPad the forums skip some posts or maybe they just take a while to load?

Weird on my other device it’s page 2….

Anyhow the update is a few posts back

I'm so glad to know the surgery went well!! :weeAlso amazed the bill was only $100. Sounds like you have a great vet who still charges an affordable fee; that combination is hard to find in this day and age. Polly is adorable! Please keep updating her progress; your experience and knowledge gained from this will help others in the future facing a similiar decision. Plus she's really cute, and will be fun to see her grow.:)

Yes he’s old school vet…reasonable and logical

He wavered back and forth on the anesthesia but when thoughts of infection came into play he decided the delayed toe and very small amount of blood flow might delay the self amputation longer then needed and if there was infection it might be best to just amputate and get going on healing while the chick is little and still learning to walk on it.

He did say something about just waving the anesthesia mask past her little beak…so I’m not sure how much he gave her, my friend that works there came out and said “Polly is alive” 🥳

Does anyone know how to get Polly to take her oral liquid antibiotics every 8 hours? I’m not sure how to open her beak and get the dropper in there for one drop worth.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 10
Lots of loved critters here, but THIS ONE is the one that is very jealous of the attention Polly is getting! 😂 She literally climbed into my lap after I put Polly back in her cage and she is NOT a small dog! NOT A LAP DOG FOR SURE! The other dogs and critters could care less Polly is getting my attention.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes he’s old school vet…reasonable and logical

He wavered back and forth on the anesthesia but when thoughts of infection came into play he decided the delayed toe and very small amount of blood flow might delay the self amputation longer then needed and if there was infection it might be best to just amputate and get going on healing while the chick is little and still learning to walk on it.

He did say something about just waving the anesthesia mask past her little beak…so I’m not sure how much he gave her, my friend that works there came out and said “Polly is alive” 🥳

Does anyone know how to get Polly to take her oral liquid antibiotics every 8 hours? I’m not sure how to open her beak and get the dropper in there for one drop worth.
Sounds like you have a wonderful vet, you’re very lucky! I’m glad Polly is doing well.
Try using a syringe/dropper held next to her beak and see if she’ll just take the medicine. I’ve given a sick chick water that way and she took it easily.

Pulling down on a chicken's wattles will cause them to open their beak. But since most Easter Eggers don't have wattles, I simply pull down on the skin underneath their beaks when i need to give a pill, tubefeed, etc.

You probably already know this, but just in case (or for future others who read this thread and do not know), it is essential to know that the opening at the back of the tongue is the trachea (airway), and you never want any food or water to go in there. The esophagus which leads to the crop and digestive system is on the far right of a chicken's tongue. (Far left in the photo since it is reversed, but always remember that a bird's crop is located to the right of their breast bone, and the esophagus is located to the right of their tongue.)
When you pull the skin beneath Polly's beak, squeeze the drop of antibiotic and then immediately let go so she can swallow. If she struggles when you first open her beak, give her a few moments to calm down first, and then proceed.
1716059625949.png

Back
Top Bottom