gangrene? PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbrown86, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Here are some better pics of Poop Face's foot. Does it look like gangrene? It doesn't smell. And DH drained some of the pressure, only clear liquid came out. Just worried about if her foot needs removed. As you can see, she still uses it just fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My little eagle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it does not look good thats for sure.. I would normally say yes looks like GG... but there is no smell... I wold bathe the foot a couple times a day and wrap with an antibiotic cream

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    awww!!! Bump! i hope he/she gets better! lol @ poopface's name. But seriously i hope someone with more experience helps you.

4. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Dar, that's what we have been doing. She had a string twisted around it, and after I cut it off, her foot was swollen. thanks, iheartchicks, when she was little, her face was brown. And then she kept escaping her pen, so I stuck with the name Poop Face. Hahaha. My husband hates it. [​IMG]

5. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    My first thought was bruising, do you know how the foot got injured?

6. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Yes, a string got wrapped around it really tight. It wasn't there when I left for work that morning, but when I got home, it was. I don't know how long it was on her, bc I was at work for 12 hrs. [​IMG]

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    how tight was the string?
    was the skin broken?
    are the scales loose?.
    is the foot warmer then the other? colder?
    is the green spreading?

8. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    That's hard to say, it's possible that with the circulation cut off it could have caused tissue death which could lead to gangrene, but I wouldn't really associate clear liquid with gangrene. I still think maybe bruising, depending on how long it's been like that.

9. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    The string was tight, but did not cut the skin. The scales are not loose. The foot feels the same temp as the other. It can still grip things, but she limps. No, the green hasn't spread. The swelling has gone down a bit since I let her soak in a warm bath.

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Funny how lightening strikes twice...
    I just found one of my Buff Brahmas with a strand from the fraying tarp over thier pen wrapped around her foot. I am going to have to keep a close eye on it since it formed a huge lump on her foot from it. I don't know if it was just edema or something but I will be watching it and if need be do a cold compress and antibiotic ointment.

Good luck with PoopFace. Is she a Dark Cornish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by