Gap worm or respiratory problem?

NewChickieFarm

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2015
Falmouth, KY
I have a white bantam Polish pullet and cockerel that was shipped across country from a very well respected breeder back in February. The cockerel is perfect in every way but the pullet has always had a bit of a head twitch when she gets stressed/excited which can be common in the breed so I didn't think anything of it. So today I go to feed them, she gets excited about the treats, starts her head bob/twitch but is gapping now, like a yawn. I watch her for a bit and she acts completely normal except for this gapping. No sneezing, no coughing, no discharge, still active, still eating etc. Cockerel is still completely fine. Mind you, they do not free range and they are not around other poultry or even wildlife.

Of course my first thought is gape worm based on things I've heard in the past, but when I looked up treatment for it, I saw several articles stating gape worm is very rare in chickens and it's more likely respitory problems.

So based on the provided information, what does everyone think it is and what is the best form of treatment?

I have a white bantam Polish pullet and cockerel that was shipped across country from a very well respected breeder back in February. The cockerel is perfect in every way but the pullet has always had a bit of a head twitch when she gets stressed/excited which can be common in the breed so I didn't think anything of it. So today I go to feed them, she gets excited about the treats, starts her head bob/twitch but is gapping now, like a yawn. I watch her for a bit and she acts completely normal except for this gapping. No sneezing, no coughing, no discharge, still active, still eating etc. Cockerel is still completely fine. Mind you, they do not free range and they are not around other poultry or even wildlife.

Of course my first thought is gape worm based on things I've heard in the past, but when I looked up treatment for it, I saw several articles stating gape worm is very rare in chickens and it's more likely respitory problems.

So based on the provided information, what does everyone think it is and what is the best form of treatment?
Can you post a video of her actions?

Respiratory illness symptoms include difficulty breathing, sneezing, coughing, runny nose (mucous), water eyes, etc.

Gape worm is usually seen in warm, tropical locations and is not that common in chickens. If you have a vet that can test a fresh sample of poop, they can look for internal parasites and give you a better answer.

A head bob/twitch could be from mites/lice in the ears or ear infection, it could also be neurological. Offer her some poultry vitamins that contains B vitamins and Vitamin E.

Back
Top Bottom