Gape worm - Safeguard not working - suggestions?

Pics

CumberlandView

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Mountains of Tennessee
My baby (about 4 or 5 months old) black sex link contracted gape worm - the typical stretching out of the neck for breath and crackling sound in her throat. I've dosed her three times in as many weeks with Safeguard at the pea size dose recommended on this site. She gets better and at one point even stopped the gasping for air but this morning, she was doing it again. Crackling sound is back too.

I'm frustrated and out of ideas. The whole worming thing is a crap shoot - try this, try that - none of it is labeled for poultry.

Please help me save this little girl.

My baby (about 4 or 5 months old) black sex link contracted gape worm - the typical stretching out of the neck for breath and crackling sound in her throat. I've dosed her three times in as many weeks with Safeguard at the pea size dose recommended on this site. She gets better and at one point even stopped the gasping for air but this morning, she was doing it again. Crackling sound is back too.

I'm frustrated and out of ideas. The whole worming thing is a crap shoot - try this, try that - none of it is labeled for poultry. 

My chickens get wormed with Safegaurd for Goats/Cattle (Fenbendazole 100mg/ml) at 50mg/kg ( .5cc/kg). Not sure how many mg are in a pea size amount of paste... You might want to figure that out. I know that sometimes Fenbendazole is used multiple days in a row, but I don't know what for.

Last edited:

Covey Rise Plantation is the expert on gapeworms. Here's a link, read posts #13 & #14.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602699/worming-chickens/10#post_7931055

Smoochie: According to Tractor Supply, Camvet requires an Rx in the States. Thank you, though.

casportpony: That is the same Fenbendazole I'm using. I'm gonna be honest - all that cc, ml, mg and kg confuses the heck out of me and I have no way to measure most of that. However, your advice about dosing multiple days led me to some info I had not previously seen. I have been waiting too long between doses. Thank you.

dawg53: The link is very helpful. I can find Tramisol and the multiple doses spaced less far apart makes sense to me based on what is happening here.

I appreciate everyone who responded. I have a new plan and I'll report back about its success.

Smoochie: According to Tractor Supply, Camvet requires an Rx in the States. Thank you, though.

casportpony: That is the same Fenbendazole I'm using. I'm gonna be honest - all that cc, ml, mg and kg confuses the heck out of me and I have no way to measure most of that. However, your advice about dosing multiple days led me to some info I had not previously seen.  I have been waiting too long between doses. Thank you.

dawg53: The link is very helpful. I can find Tramisol and the multiple doses spaced less far apart makes sense to me based on what is happening here.

I appreciate everyone who responded. I have a new plan and I'll report back about its success.

Do you have a 1cc syringe? If so, let me know exactly how much you chicken weighs and I'll let you know how much Safeguard to give in the future.

How kind! The hen is right at 4 lbs. I do have a 1cc syringe. Thank you so much.

4 pounds is 1814.4 grams, so your chicken would get .9 cc's of Safeguard forGoats/Cattle by mouth. Repeat in 10 days. This is what my vet recommends and it matches what I have found in vet books.

FYI, chickens get more cc's per pound than goats do. Go figure...

I didn't know that chickens require a higher dosage than goats. What I have been doing is adding the safeguard for goats to their water for 3 days, waiting 10 days and repeating. This isn't for treatment of problems, I just worm them this way 2 x a year hoping to prevent problems. If the chicken has gape worms, you will be able to see them if you look. I don't think giving safeguard in any form for just one day would be effective. Am I wrong?

I didn't know that chickens require a higher dosage than goats.  What I have been doing is adding the safeguard for goats to their water for 3 days, waiting 10 days and repeating.  This isn't for treatment of problems, I just worm them this way 2 x a year hoping to prevent problems. If the chicken has gape worms, you will be able to see them if you look.  I don't think giving safeguard in any form for just one day would be effective.  Am I wrong?

For chickens, Safeguard is effective when given at the rate of 50mg ( .5cc) per kilogram by mouth, but you have to repeat in ten days.

Back
Top Bottom