Gapeworm and Treatment?

Thanks, Cuda, I'll use the panacur (Fenbendazole) next if she isn't better soon. I'm guessing the ivermectin should work after a few days. Don't know how soon I can use another wormer though. If the worms don't kill her, the cure probably will. She definitely needed treatment because she was getting worse since her first symptoms on Apr 6. Sally is a BO pullet, 10 months and a really nice girl. Hope I don't lose her.

Yep, it's a hard call, worming is hard on their system, but not sure how much the topical ivermectin is on them. I haven't used it yet. Hope it works out for you.

I can only add one more thing to this.
Be absolutely sure that you give her a drench. She is going to need all the nutrients she can get right now. If you don't have a drench you can mix up some Durvet and use a syringe to squirt it down her gullet.
Dave

Good idea Dave.
big_smile.png

Whatevers squirted down her has to go into the windpipe to be effective, This is where the worms are, not in the throat, If its even gapeworms at all...good luck

My 3 month old Austrolorp, I've just noticed is wheezing. Its not very loud, but when he comes up to be I can hear him, it is like a whistling noise. I am concerned. Is it a sign of Gapeworm? Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think ivermectin is good for gapeworms. Use ferbendazole or mebendazole instead.

Back
Top Bottom