Gapeworm, CRD, or Temperature?

Aug 17, 2023

I uploaded a video of one of my hens (her name is Ducky). She's been making these noises as the heatwaves get worse in texas. Does anyone know what this sound could be from?
I'm treating her for Gapeworm, then when that wraps up, I'm planning on treating her for crd. But I wonder if she's temperature sensitive

Welcome To BYC

She's hot.

She's scratching at her head - do you see any lice or mites?
What's the inside of her ears and beak look like?
What are you using to treat for Gapeworm with? (product and dosing)
Any pus or bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying. Provide her with some electrolytes.
Doesn't look like gapeworm, can't see her face nor really see an indication in your description that makes me think MG. She may have some stridor which is when something is obstructing the airway like food, mucous, etc. Stridor usually resolves on its own in a day or two.

Hello!
I don't see any lice or mites. I know that since she's been making that noise, another chicken occasionally picks on her and pecks at her comb. That's normally when she scratches at her head. We monitor the chickens closely to make sure it doesn't get past the first peck, though.
Inside her beak is clean and clear. Her ears look like normal (they're a whitish color with red on the edges, how they've always looked on her).
I assumed Gapeworm because she began this in December and stopped. She also stretches her neck on occasion and opens her mouth wide. She then started occasionally doing this a few months ago. It's picked up in frequency with the heat (almost every day for 3 weeks). We're doing our deworming routine with Fenbendazole. When researching gapeworm, a lot of websites suggested the Safeguard bottle. I'm dosing with 1/8th of a TSP in a gallon of water. I was reading on this article to get dosing (Deworming article). I'm starting the chickens off with a small dose because they've never had any dewormer before. We're new to backyard chicken life.
There's no pus or swelling. She's overall a very happy, healthy chicken. Just noisy when she breathes.

Thank you so much for your help, by the way!

Welcome To BYC

She's hot.

Doesn't look like gapeworm, can't see her face nor really see an indication in your description that makes me think MG. She may have some stridor which is when something is obstructing the airway like food, mucous, etc. Stridor usually resolves on its own in a day or two.

Welcome To BYC

She's hot.

I forgot to note this in my other reply to the threat, but we have been giving the hens electrolytes the past two weeks, especially because of how warm it is.

Her crop has felt normal, and it becomes squishier throughout the day as she eats more. I was reading about what it should feel like and it's never been hard or anything. I'll check first thing in the morning to compare.

Back
Top Bottom