Gapeworm dosage not high enough?

I would increase the dosage to 1 ml and give it for 5 full days, in addition to what has already been done. I agree that she doesn’t look like she has gapeworm. Birds with that gasp severely, non-stop and cannot eat or drink.
The vet had a fresh stool sample, courtesy of dear Henny, and said it was gapeworm after putting it under a microscope. The gaping is non-stop when she lays down. When she was eating she would only eat the small crumbles and seemed to have a hard time with scrambled eggs, this morning she ate very little and now she isn’t eating or drinking at all.

Well, that is good to know. Hopefully, increasing the dosage will get that and most other worms including capillary worms that affect chickens.

I'd take another stool sample to a different vet and get it checked out, a second opinion is in order.
Henny doesnt appear to have gapeworms IMO.
I agree and I believe this bet doesn't quite know because he clearly didn't give the correct doseage...which is in the vet Plumb's handbook.

The vet said she weighed just over 4 lbs, but we can always weigh her again.

Is there a limit on how many days consecutively I can give her safeguard? She’s already had a lower dose (0.5mL) for 3 days.

We checked her crop last night and again this morning, it felt empty.

I had my boyfriend take a video and post it, she’s not making any rattling noises or anything, just the gaping, but it’s not constant and seems to be worse when she lays down.
Thanks for the video.
Poor girl. Does she lay eggs? If you feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs is there any feeling of fluid, bloat or heaviness?

I agree, she likely has something else going on. The panting gasping reminds me of hens that have reproductive issues like fluid in the abdomen - especially since it's worse if she lays down.

Just my 2¢

Back
Top Bottom