Gapeworm or something else?

Hholt

Chirping
Mar 16, 2019
My chickens are about 2 years old. The last two days one of them has been stretching her neck out while silently opening her mouth. I’ve done some searching and it sounds like gapeworm. If I only have one hen doing this, does this sound accurate? Is this contagious to my other hens? If so how should I treat my coop/run?

Where do you live, OP? Unless you live in a more tropical climate, gapeworm is highly unlikely. It is most likely her adjusting her crop (something crop related) or something respiratory.

Is she doing this with every breath? Are there any other symptoms?

Where do you live, OP? Unless you live in a more tropical climate, gapeworm is highly unlikely. It is most likely her adjusting her crop (something crop related) or something respiratory.

Is she doing this with every breath? Are there any other symptoms?
I’m in southern Illinois. So definitely not tropical.

Every time I’ve been outside today and seen her she’s been doing it continuously. Her comb is purple(ish) which is what initially got me worried. As far as I know she’s been doing it all day. We have a tarp under their roost that collects most of their poop. She fell into it yesterday but was recovered from it pretty quick. We were worried to caught something from in there, but I’m not sure what that’d be.

I’m in southern Illinois. So definitely not tropical.

Every time I’ve been outside today and seen her she’s been doing it continuously. Her comb is purple(ish) which is what initially got me worried. As far as I know she’s been doing it all day. We have a tarp under their roost that collects most of their poop. She fell into it yesterday but was recovered from it pretty quick. We were worried to caught something from in there, but I’m not sure what that’d be.
Purple comb is not a good sign.
Have you had any respiratory type illnesses in your flock?

Can you take a video of what she is doing and post it on YouTube?

Feel her crop first thing in the morning before food and water. It should be empty and flat. Report back.

If it is empty, watch her for other symptoms. Eye bubbles, gasping for air, noisy breathing, nasal discharge etc. If any if these occur, it's possible she has some sort of a respiratory infection going on.

You could also open her mouth and check for obstructions.

OH NO !!! one of many hens used to do this, i thought she was yawning, but would she be doing that all the time??:eek:

As far as I’m aware we haven’t had any respiratory issues in the flow as a whole. We’ve had a couple that seem to get something stuck in their throat and briefly (a day at most) have their comb turn a little purple. Hers isn’t fully purple yet, but definitely not the bright red it’s supposed to be. I’ll check her in the morning and see if I can get a video as well. Thanks for all the input.

Is she keeping that left eye closed a lot? I would check the corners of her eyes really well for bubbles/discharge. Also listen to her breathing. It looks as if she has some sort of upper respiratory funk going on.

Back
Top Bottom