Gapeworm possible but can be too hot

hollytruitt

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
Its hot here where we are at. Only two are open mouth breathing but not all the time. Several others do it off and on. They quit when temps drop. The two yarns a lot but no coughing or sneezing. Eating and drinking just fine. Should I go ahead and treat the flock for worms?
Hubby fed them earthworms and now just found out earthworms can carry these parasites. :(. We got them from bait tackle shop however the other flock is not showing these symptoms. I tried to video it but doesn't do it while I video, Will try to do a video and upload but in the meantime should I just go ahead and treat the flock?

It won’t hurt to worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. It is a good time of year for that. Gapeworm is rare, and it can be treated with either of the wormers above. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight for 5 straight days. But they may be panting to get cooler. I like to put flat pans of water in a shaded spot around the run or yard, for them to step into and cool their legs. Can you post any pictures of your set-up, or describe it? Is the coop shaded by trees, or is your run covered? My chickens had a metal roof barn, and it would get very warm in summer, so I had to have large windows that had end to end ventilation with a fan drawing air through and out of the coop. I planted evergreens in the yard, and they got under those and bushes for shade.

It won’t hurt to worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. It is a good time of year for that. Gapeworm is rare, and it can be treated with either of the wormers above. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml per pound of weight for 5 straight days. But they may be panting to get cooler. I like to put flat pans of water in a shaded spot around the run or yard, for them to step into and cool their legs. Can you post any pictures of your set-up, or describe it? Is the coop shaded by trees, or is your run covered? My chickens had a metal roof barn, and it would get very warm in summer, so I had to have large windows that had end to end ventilation with a fan drawing air through and out of the coop. I planted evergreens in the yard, and they got under those and bushes for shade.
Right now we have them in an insulated garage with fans going and windows/doors open. Its HOT as our outside temps are 95 degrees but in garage is 85 right now. We put ice in their waterers. Frozen bottled waters in front of fans.

The two that is doing this are 8 weeks old. Our flocks are very very young. We had them in the coop but it got way too hot as we are working on their run that will be used for their coop that will be attached.

Is this the one you are talking about? This one says you can put in their water.

Attachments

• 348359002_272551701912885_7883097750844116873_n.jpg
    348359002_272551701912885_7883097750844116873_n.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
That is the right one, but it doesn’t go in the water (it will settle out.) You give them the dosage orally into their beaks 0.25 ml per pound for each chicken daily for 5 days. Before daylight works well when you can pluck them off the roost bar, dose them pull down on their wattles, 1/2 ml at a time, release wattles letting them swallow and repeat) and then put them out in the run.

Back
Top Bottom