GAPEWORM... UPDATE have meds now what?

Wendy'sChicksRock

Songster
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Oakland county ,MI
so I thought I had sneezing hens.but after watching them for a quite a while today i see that they are shaking their heads almost not stop when they "sneeze " its really a gaping sound and they put their heads way up and stretch their neck.. then swallow, swallow, swallow...not all of them are doing it just a few who i had seperated a few days back.they are looking a little ragged to me but this being my first winter I just figured it was normal not to be all fat and sassy when your stuck inside all dang day...

How do I treat this ASAP I feel terrible for them...
Im a bad chicken mommy
hit.gif
I have been treating them with antibiotics...

OK I GOT THE TYLAN50 AND THE IVERMECTIN HOW MUCH AND HOW? SHOT? IN THE WATER? IN THEIR MOUTH? SORRY FOR ASKING SOOO MANY QUESTIONS BUT I NEED SOME HELP HERE

Last edited:
Wendy'sChicksRock :

OK i GOT THE MEDS NOW HOW MUCH AND HOW TO GIVE IT.
I got tylan 50 and ivermectin.. help

Tylan 50 wont kill gapeworm if that's what it is. Ivermectin pour on dosage is 1/2cc put on the skin on the back of the chickens neck. Try not to get it on the feathers or fluff, it'll be ineffective. There's a 14 day withdrawal period for egg consumption.​

One way that you can tell if they have gapeworm is to use a Q-tip and gently stick it one inch down the chickens throat and swab. Remove the Q-tip and if you see a red in color "Y" shaped worm on the Q-tip, you'll have your answer. I recommend that one person holds the chicken and the other uses the Q-tip. You can gently pull down on their wattles and their mouth will open. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom