Gapeworm

Suesp

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
I know this is a chicken page, but I have a duck that I suspect has gapeworm. She lives with 3 other ducks and 8 chickens. No one else is showing signs of anything. I have treated her for gapeworm with safeguard dewormer for goats (treating off label). I treated her 2 days ago. I think she has improved a little (or just wishful thinking). She is eating peas and drinking water (I'm not sure if she is eating her regular feed though). I've also been giving her Vetrx twice a day. It seems to stress her out more when I separate her from everyone else so it is hard for me to monitor if she is eating her feed. My question is, how long before the worms die and she is better?

I have treated her for gapeworm with safeguard dewormer for goats (treating off label). I treated her 2 days ago.
Per this veterinary textbook, gapeworm treatment using Safeguard for goats is 0.14 ml per pound of body weight for *five* consecutive days, so a seven pound duck needs 0.95 ml (okay to round up to 1 ml) five days in a row.

The dose amount on the label is for goats and is no where near enough to treat worms that waterfowl and poultry get.
veterinary_parasitology.jpg

Thank you. I will use the liquid. Do you have any idea how long it will take before I see improvement in her?
If it's gapeworms you should see start to see improvement by day 5.
Also, I read to put the liquid in water to treat all the ducks and chickens but the water gets so dirty that I dump it several times a day so I'm not sure if this is effective.
Ignore all posts that say to put it in water. Two reasons... one being that the amount they suggest using is not enough and the other is that Safeguard liquid for goats is not water soluble.

Back
Top Bottom