Gapeworm??

Kateslilfarm

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2021
I have a 7 month old black copper marans hen who is not well. I noticed earlier this week that she was in the coop during the day which is not normal for her. She was sitting hunched up with her tail down. When I picked her up I noticed that she has also lost weight. Since we hen She’s been isolated in the basement. She will eat a little scratch grains but is not interested in much else. Also doesn’t appear to be drinking. I have been giving her water with electrolytes and probiotics. She is pooping very little. She’s pretty listless and unsteady on her feet. Yesterday when I got her out she started open mouth breathing and raising her head up. When I gave her some water she did swallow it but then there was some gurgling noise. This is a video from this AM. Same thing going on. I did give her some safeguard last evening and again this AM. Any ideas what this might be? Gapeworm or something else? Any other treatment recommendations?
TIA!
Oops, can’t attach video, I’ll get a screenshot

Attachments

• BF47A926-7268-448B-9F5F-1D90A70D2286.jpeg
    BF47A926-7268-448B-9F5F-1D90A70D2286.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 61340B5A-2734-4C48-9DE0-3C8240897AE1.jpeg
    61340B5A-2734-4C48-9DE0-3C8240897AE1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
What does her crop feel like?

Did she start gurgling/gasping after you (syringed?) fluids into her?

Could she have aspirated fluids?
When is the last time she laid an egg? Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there a feeling of fluid or fullness?

Where are you located in the world?

What does her crop feel like?

Did she start gurgling/gasping after you (syringed?) fluids into her?

Could she have aspirated fluids?
When is the last time she laid an egg? Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs, is there a feeling of fluid or fullness?

Where are you located in the world?
Her crop is fairly deflated as she’s not eating or drinking much.
The sound is more like digestion sounds than gurgling if that makes sense. And it was there before I gave her any fluids with a dropper.
She hasn’t started laying yet. Her abdomen doesn’t feel like there’s any fluid.
I’m in Wisconsin, USA.

Her crop is fairly deflated as she’s not eating or drinking much.
The sound is more like digestion sounds than gurgling if that makes sense. And it was there before I gave her any fluids with a dropper.
She hasn’t started laying yet. Her abdomen doesn’t feel like there’s any fluid.
I’m in Wisconsin, USA.
Is she pooping at all? What's that like?

You mentioned that you have lost a few members of the flock, to an unknown illness, in your introductory. Also, you mentioned that she ate a few "scratch grains" and has lost weight. What do you generally feed your flock?
Have you noticed any coughing, sneezing, runny eyes or other discharge? Any unusual or strong smells? Have you added any adult chickens to your flock recently?

You mentioned that you have lost a few members of the flock, to an unknown illness, in your introductory. Also, you mentioned that she ate a few "scratch grains" and has lost weight. What do you generally feed your flock?
Have you noticed any coughing, sneezing, runny eyes or other discharge? Any unusual or strong smells? Have you added any adult chickens to your flock recently?
They have at all times chick feed, high protein feed, layer feed, grit and oyster shells. I have a mixed flock of breeds and ages. Oldest is 1.5 years old, youngest is 4.5 months old. So to cover all of their needs there is always a variety of feed out. I also give them fresh greens, and other fruits and veggies. The only thing she will eat at all at this point is scratch grains because it’s her favorite thing. I also offered her a mash of feed with rooster booster and she won’t eat it.
She has no respiratory symptoms or discharge at all.
And no improvement as of yet with giving her fenbendazole. :-(

I’m honestly starting to fear this is Mareks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 6
Sometimes it is hard to figure out what is wrong with them. What makes you suspect Mareks? Have you lost other birds to an unknown illness? Is she having trouble walking, curled under toes, balance issues, or drooping wings? Time may tell if she has Mareks or some other problem. If you lose her your state vet can perform a necropsy, and you can ask for Mareks testing. Get her drinking and eating. Mushy watery chick feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food in moderation can tempt her. I sometimes sprinkle a few dry crumbles to entice them to peck. Make sure that her crop empties overnight. Check her for any mites or lice on her belly and under wings.

I'm very sorry you're going through this with your hen.
Its my understanding that gapeworm is very uncommon, and i would hypothesize some kind of other internal issues instead. What color is her comb currently? Is it dark? A dark/purple-ish comb along with gasping would tell me that she has some sort of respiratory infection (a dark purple-ish comb might suggest lack of oxygen). What color is the little bit of poop that she has?
I've had a hen with a respiratory infection once with similar symptoms. She was underweight, very weak and gasped a ton. (Also had a dark comb and little appetite). Unfortunately she didn't pull through...
Hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom