Gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DBYRNE, Nov 24, 2011.

1. DBYRNE

DBYRNE New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    Please help...I have given my sick birds the reccommended dose of Safeguard ( fenbendazole). But what do I do about the respiratory problems? It appears that once they have gape worms they also have respiratory distress and rattles. Could someone please suggest something for that? I have put vinegar in their only water (reccommended by a friend). Also, what can I use safely on the soil where they forage. I have a stationary coop and am not able to move their pen.

thank you to anyone who responds, and have a Blessed Thanksgiving. I am thankful for so many blessings... My chickens are my kids, and I hate it so badly when they are sick and I can't make it go away.

Diane Packingham Freeman, Missouri
    816-616-4578

2. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    I have heard of people running a HOT HOT shower, with the bathroom door closed, and sitting the birds in the bathroom to loosen up the phlegm and mucous. A humidifier would also be helpful in an enclosed type of area. You can put some vicks in the water in the humidifier (but about ½ the recommended dose) to help expedite the process.

I have had everything from finches to African parrots to chooks. Never had gapeworm but have had to deal with respiratory distress a couple of times and these all worked for me! Best of luck and have a happy Thanksgiving!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:How do you know they had gapeworm? If your birds were eating and drinking, I doubt it was gapeworm. Additionally, IF they did have gapeworm, you'd have to reworm them several more times with the safeguard. Most likely you're dealing with a respiratory disease. Here's a link, take a look at Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by