Gapeworm

minksroost

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
I treated my hen for Gapeworm on Saturday using 2 drops orally of ivermectin. Could have been a slight improvement yesterday but today she's back to sounding just as bad. The weather turned cold again, but I don't think that is a factor. I originally thought this was respiratory, but after 7 days of antibiotics and no improvement I'm relatively sure I'm dealing with gapeworm. We have the perfect environment. My question is: I want to treat her today with Safeguard. I'm thinking about doing the 3-5 day treatment in the water. But I'm concerned that it's too soon since I just gave her ivermectin on Saturday. Does anyone know if this is dangerous, and if I should just stick out the 10 days before trying the safeguard????

I treated my hen for Gapeworm on Saturday using 2 drops orally of ivermectin. Could have been a slight improvement yesterday but today she's back to sounding just as bad. The weather turned cold again, but I don't think that is a factor. I originally thought this was respiratory, but after 7 days of antibiotics and no improvement I'm relatively sure I'm dealing with gapeworm. We have the perfect environment. My question is: I want to treat her today with Safeguard. I'm thinking about doing the 3-5 day treatment in the water. But I'm concerned that it's too soon since I just gave her ivermectin on Saturday. Does anyone know if this is dangerous, and if I should just stick out the 10 days before trying the safeguard????
Give her Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound orally for 5 days. That will treat gapes and capillary worms.

-Kathy

Ok. so no negative reactions from the two meds, or the risk of over medicating her?? I thought it might be better to just dose her directly and not deal with putting it in the water. I typically give her 0.5cc during her normal worming. She's about 3lbs. So from your dosing above you think I should give her more like 0.7? Does that sound about right.

Ok. so no negative reactions from the two meds, or the risk of over medicating her?? I thought it might be better to just dose her directly and not deal with putting it in the water. I typically give her 0.5cc during her normal worming. She's about 3lbs. So from your dosing above you think I should give her more like 0.7? Does that sound about right.
Safeguard is very safe... the 0.23ml per pound is 50mg/kg, and is what I use on all of mine, even the ones that are really sick.

3 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.68 ml, so round up to 0.7 ml and give 5 days in a row. If it's gapes, I think you'll see a difference in three days, but do go ahead and give for five to get any possible capillary worms. If that doesn't fix her, you could try something like Baytril.

-Kathy

Gapeworms are rare, in fact I've only seen it once in one of mine. Here are some dosing pictures:

Capillary worms

Gapeworm

Hope that helps,
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom