1. minksroost

minksroost Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    I treated my hen for Gapeworm on Saturday using 2 drops orally of ivermectin. Could have been a slight improvement yesterday but today she's back to sounding just as bad. The weather turned cold again, but I don't think that is a factor. I originally thought this was respiratory, but after 7 days of antibiotics and no improvement I'm relatively sure I'm dealing with gapeworm. We have the perfect environment. My question is: I want to treat her today with Safeguard. I'm thinking about doing the 3-5 day treatment in the water. But I'm concerned that it's too soon since I just gave her ivermectin on Saturday. Does anyone know if this is dangerous, and if I should just stick out the 10 days before trying the safeguard????

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Give her Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound orally for 5 days. That will treat gapes and capillary worms.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No need to wait, the two wormers can be given together.

-Kathy

4. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    Ok. so no negative reactions from the two meds, or the risk of over medicating her?? I thought it might be better to just dose her directly and not deal with putting it in the water. I typically give her 0.5cc during her normal worming. She's about 3lbs. So from your dosing above you think I should give her more like 0.7? Does that sound about right.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Safeguard is very safe... the 0.23ml per pound is 50mg/kg, and is what I use on all of mine, even the ones that are really sick.

3 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 0.68 ml, so round up to 0.7 ml and give 5 days in a row. If it's gapes, I think you'll see a difference in three days, but do go ahead and give for five to get any possible capillary worms. If that doesn't fix her, you could try something like Baytril.

-Kathy

6. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    And you are saying to worm her every day for 5 days??

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes... a one day treatment with Safeguard will not treat anything other than roundworms and cecal worms. Both gapes and capillary worms need several days of worming.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Gapeworms are rare, in fact I've only seen it once in one of mine. Here are some dosing pictures:

Capillary worms
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gapeworm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps,
    Kathy

9. minksroost

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    Yes, Thank you so much!!!! Greatly appreciate the info!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by