Gapeworm

If it was me personally, I would probably do ivermectin first, then reasses.
Albndazole would be my first choice as a regular scheduled dewormer, but only because I have tons of the sheep drench already.
Two studies for everyone to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9269125

Anthelmintic efficacy of ivermectin against Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. in pheasant.

Lamka J1, Svobodová V, Slézková J.
Author information

Abstract

Ivermectin (IVM) was perorally administered in dosage schemes 1 x 0.8 mg/kg of body weight (b.w.), 1 x 1.6 mg/kg h.w., 3 x 0.8 mg/kg b.w., and 3 x 1.6 mg/kg b.w. to pheasants infected by Syngamus trachea and Capillaria spp. The samples of faeces were coprologically examined. The clinical state of pheasant was controlled. In all of the used therapeutical schemes the helminthostatic or partially helminthocide effect against adults of worms was reached. The clinical signs of helmithoses were reduced only. IVM in tested doses is not possible to recommend as an effective drug of pheasant syngamosis and capillariosis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Ivermectin is very hit and miss. Especially with the resistance from over use.. But its still my go-to to the horses. Nothing gets rid of threadworm in their necks better than ivermectin.
Most impossible nematode infections can't survive ivermectin/albendazole treatment combos. Its just knocking out all the **** stages and cycles

Ivermectin is very hit and miss. Especially with the resistance from over use.. But its still my go-to to the horses. Nothing gets rid of threadworm in their necks better than ivermectin.
Most impossible nematode infections can't survive ivermectin/albendazole treatment combos. Its just knocking out all the **** stages and cycles

I use it with horses, too, but when it comes to treating gapeworms and capillary worms, fenbendazole is what I use, though I have been doing some experiments using both at the same time.

What doses of the different wormers do you use?

-Kathy

The 5 days of Fenbendazole did the trick! She is doing great. No coughing in 2 days, no more wheezing and her color has returned to normal.

The 5 days of Fenbendazole did the trick! She is doing great. No coughing in 2 days, no more wheezing and her color has returned to normal.
wee.gif
Happy for you and thanks for the update!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom