Gapeworms

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by A Peacock called Penelope, Sep 16, 2019.

1. A Peacock called Penelope

A Peacock called Penelope In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2019
    Hi my 5 month old peacock is showing symptoms of gapeworms from the past 5 days he gasps for air makes some weird noise when i hold him.Ive tried to find flubenvet aviverm and fubenol but i didnt find them here i have also tried ivermectin 1% for 3 days but also didnt work? Wht other medicines can i try and find in pakistan or is there any other way to deal with them?

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. Before deciding on gapeworms as the problem do a simple check and affirm that is what it is. A cotton swab put down the trachea and twisting upward as you pull it out will tell you if it really is gapes. I am betting you have the onset of a respiratory infection and not gapes.

3. Or have a vet do a fecal float exam to confirm that there are gapeworm eggs present.

4. A Peacock called Penelope

Aug 8, 2019
    How much down? I couldnt find any vets who check birds but i asked a veterinary store for it and they gave me enrofloxacin injection also are there any other ways to check for gapes?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    @R.M.Qureshi is in Pakistan and might have some suggestions.

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    If your pea has a bacterial respiratory infection then it is safe to inject or give orally.

KsKingBee likes this.
  7. A Peacock called Penelope

Aug 8, 2019
    Thanks

casportpony likes this.
  8. Just those two ways, one a physical exam of the trachea and the other an exam of the feces.

9. A Peacock called Penelope

Aug 8, 2019
    I took him to many vets but none knew whts wrong :I

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: