gapeworms

Nananurse0455

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Hi everone,

I'm new to Backyard Chickens, but I need your help. I've had chickens for many years, but never come across gapeworm before.

I bought 5 young dominique hens last fall, who were free ranged. In no time, they were shaking their heads like crazy, with occasional gaping. After researching on line, I thought they prob. had gape worms, so treated first with wazine, then with 1/4 cc of ivermectin orally for each hen, followed by the same dose 14 days later.

Now the symptoms have come back. Any suggestions? Does food grade diatomaceous earth work? If so, how do I use it?

Thank you!

Wish I could help, but I've never experienced that problem. I do wish to welcome you to the forum, though.

images

Just because they are "gaping" doesn't always mean they have gape worm. Much of the time when they are gasping for air, they have a respiratory ailment. Can you actually see the gape worms when looking down the beak?

Wazine is useless for treating gapeworm, if they do in fact have this worm. Ivermectin is not all that useful either. Use safeguard horse wormer paste. Put a pea sized dolup on a tiny piece of bread and give each bird one piece. Redose in 12 days.

But if they are wheezing, runny noses, watery eyes, or even have ear infections, they will gape and shake their heads. In which case you might try some Oxytetracycline in their water for 10 to 14 days and see if this doesn't clear it up.

Good luck with your birds and enjoy BYC!

thank you so much. I have not actually looked down their throats, but will do so. No other symtpoms, just the head shaking, so if I see gapeworms, I'll use safeguard

welcome-byc.gif
my friend had a frizzle hen that came to her showing respiratory illness, she treated her - no effect. One day she found her dead and gapeworms(?) in her throat. Sometimes you need a vet to diagnose and she just always figured she knew best.

Back
Top Bottom