garbage can full of wet scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by taprock, Jun 22, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

We had high winds last night and 3 inches of rain. This morning I went out to discover the lid had blown off the garbage can half full of scratch. If I throw it in the compost the chickens will eat themselves silly, but I don't know that I should feed it to them. I'm sure it will start to ferment.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    or get moldy:(

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I would be very careful of mold, i would think that if it was only recently wet, you might get away with today to feed it to them but other than that, i would toss it. Or maybe even dump it somewhere where wild birds could eat it. Before it does go bad.
    Quote:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Quote:
    I would use what u can in a day or two but after that get rid of it-it can be hazardous for them--not worth the chance....[​IMG]

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Its not going to go bad in one day or night- its safe to feed it to them today, but not so safe beyond that. You could spread it out as far as possible and let them eat it and toss some in compost too. Bury or toss whatever amount you think is too much for them to eat in one day.

6. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Do you have any large window screens you could put up on blocks and spread it out to dry? Sort of like a sweater dryer?

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Time to fire up the the old still...

or just spread it thinly in the yard with a rake and let them eat it.

They don't really gorge themselves. They'll just eat what they need and come back for more. It may take them a few days to clean it up.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well the other thing you can do is fill the can up with water (enough to cover the grain) and let the grain soak in the water it isn't going to mold under water it will sprout and ferment but not mold.
    Just keep the grain covered with water as the grain and you use it and try to use what you can in 3 or 4 days.

Chris

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:This is what I'd do. Rake it out thin in the sunshine. If the ground isn't still soaked it'll dry out pretty quick and they can clean it up at their leisure.

10. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:A sensible and well thought out reply!

-S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by